[SOLVED] Blue lines/rain pattern on all videos (only videos) seemingly out of nowhere?

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
I'm not sure why, but I left my computer on idle for the last few hours, and now seemingly out of nowhere, most videos played on my computer have blue vertical lines in a chessboard or rainfall pattern (depending on whether or not the video in question is panning left or not). The severity also varies, and there appear to be no common factors between the videos or demand on my system so far as I can tell.

To attempt a fix, I reset my graphics card to default settings, even though I hadn't messed with them since the videos were working only a few hours ago, as well as tried a hard powering down of the system. (Went to windows logo, pressed "shut down". Waited until fully shut off, waited 20 seconds, then pressed the power button.) Otherwise, nothing else has changed since I went idle only a few hours ago.

So far as I can tell, all temperatures are fine for my CPU, GPU, Ram, Hard Disk, and Mobo, averaging around 96-108 F (or 36-42 C) at idle.

Here's my computer specs currently.

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790k
RAM - 16 GB
GPU - AMD Radeon RX 590 Fatboy (Just installed 2 days ago)
PSU - 650 Watt Seasonic Platinum (Just installed 2 days ago)
HDD - Dual Internal Hard Disk Drives, both at 500 GB space
Monitor - Single monitor, DYNEX, 2560x1440 max resolution (Primarily set to 1360x768 resolution)
Mobo - ECS H81H3-M
OS - Windows 10

I don't believe there were any updates while I was afk, and only the new tab page was open on my computer, as it usually is, while I was away. So why am I now experiencing this, I guess visual error, on all videos I'm playing? And how do I fix it? Any and all help is appreciated.

Also, all drivers and Bios are up to date to the newest possible version, and everything was working fine without this error only 3 hours ago before I went afk.

Update. I tried a few other videos on various streaming sites, and oddly enough, some videos are perfectly fine, while others have serious blue lines interfering with the visuals. Some videos that are more demanding have no lines, while videos that are less demanding have none, and so far as I can tell, it's really random and I can't find a commonality between the ones that work and the ones that don't.

Here's some of the sites I've tested on, as well as an approximation of how many videos work fine vs how many have this error.
On YouTube, about 75% of videos I click randomly are fine, while 25% are not, all with widely varying degrees of computer demand. On WCO.tv and fmovies.coffee, every anime, show, and cartoon, regardless of animation style, has those blue lines. On Netflix, every video as well as every commercial has it. Nearly 50% of all animated banner ads have it. And I just can't figure out what's causing it.

Here's a document with 3 screenshots of the error in action on 3 different sites. You'll note it's only on the videos, but nothing else.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qda9CjLkihXNi0rffrDEqsosvWzl_ZdAQuWDZ5egtyY/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Solution
The thing most likely to cause checkerboard video corruption is bad VRAM.

Try disabling GPU acceleration in Chrome/FF and see if you still get the same problem using software decode. Another thing you can also do is removing your GPU and see what happens using the i7's IGP instead.

InvalidError

Titan
The thing most likely to cause checkerboard video corruption is bad VRAM.

Try disabling GPU acceleration in Chrome/FF and see if you still get the same problem using software decode. Another thing you can also do is removing your GPU and see what happens using the i7's IGP instead.

Reactions: RJGray
Solution

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
Thanks! It was apparently the hardware acceleration setting on Google Chrome. All it took was turning it off as it was apparently on by default, and everything's normal! No idea why it started doing that out of the blue though, so here's hoping it doesn't happen again!

InvalidError

Titan
Too early to celebrate: if turning off hardware acceleration solves your problem, it means your GPU is defective. The only reason you aren't seeing your video playback issue is because you are bypassing whatever the defect was. If the issue is VRAM as I suspected, you will likely encounter some artifacting in games too when the problematic VRAM gets used for visible stuff.