Blue Screen after CPU OC 4690K

TheBawzzz

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Hi, just been tweaking an overclock and running tests on my machine until a short while later I was confronted with a blue screen.

Using a 4690K and MSI gaming 5 mobile mobo.

OC was 4.3Ghz, RAM was set to 1600 MHZ down from 1866. CPU voltage was 1.200V.

Ring OC was 4.2Ghz at 1.175V

ejhg0h.jpg

Anyone able to troubleshoot as to why?

Many Thanks,

Mike

Solution
There are lots of good articles, though some are confusing and can use a different BIOS interface.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/2

I'd try to use the XMP values for your DDR3 memory though.

It's also not clear if you are overheating, or if it's the CPU or Memory that's the issue since both were changed (lower frequency doesn't mean it's stable since the timings may not work properly).

Basically you need to change ONE THING at a time (CPU or memory), preferably in small steps, then run MEMTEST86 ( www.memtest86.com free version, full pass) for memory and the Intel CPU diagnostic (intel site) to verify.
There are lots of good articles, though some are confusing and can use a different BIOS interface.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/2

I'd try to use the XMP values for your DDR3 memory though.

It's also not clear if you are overheating, or if it's the CPU or Memory that's the issue since both were changed (lower frequency doesn't mean it's stable since the timings may not work properly).

Basically you need to change ONE THING at a time (CPU or memory), preferably in small steps, then run MEMTEST86 ( www.memtest86.com free version, full pass) for memory and the Intel CPU diagnostic (intel site) to verify.

Solution

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
i suspect the problem is cache... Try lowering the cache ratio and test agin and see how it goes. You don't really need high cache on haswel arc, but if you want a higher value, try increasing ring voltage to around 1.2, maybe 1.225