[SOLVED] Blue Screen HP compaq 8200 Elite minitower

Dec 4, 2020
Hi there.
I got a HP compaq 8200 Elite mini tower from my friend. Looks good and all but every time I switch it on, after the windows 10 logo I get a blue screen with the error code 0xc00000e9

According to research it indicates a hardware failure but I've tried hardware that I know is in a working condition but I still get the blue screen.
Even when the only hardware connected is the HDD I still get the blue screen.

And when I try to install a new Windows OS the screen stays blank for 2 to 3 minutes then all I see is red lines.
Could it be a bad power supply or is the motherboard damaged?

Can someone kindly tell me what to do?

Specs:
Processor: I5 2400
Ram: 2GB DDR3
Hdd : 250GB
PS: 240w HP

Last edited:
Solution
No he doesn't have another ram stick but I have ddr2 ram sticks, can I use it?

How do I check the temp?

You cannot use DDR2 in a DDR3 socket. The notch will be in a different place to keep it from fitting.

To be fair I am not particularly familiar with the BIOS of that specific model, but (generally) every one I can recall has the motherboard and or CPU temp displayed.

What my thought is that the cooler maybe needs repasting and the CPU is getting too hot before it can load in OS or the installer and the PC is doing a thermal shutdown. It is a wide field guess, otherwise I have nothing.
Dec 4, 2020
If you are in BIOS, what temp is it showing?
Will it stay in BIOS without shutting itself off?
Do you see the drive you have connected (or the other two you mention) when you boot into BIOS?
Yes it shows the drives connected and when booting normally I can see that it attempts to boot from the hard drive but then as usual blue screen.. Again

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Does the BSOD show any codes you can catch, or say anything specific?

Edit- lol I see the code you listed above....apologies for missing it on the reply. As you mention it says an issue with the installation.

Does friend happen to have another stick of RAM?

and you also never mentioned what BIOS temp is. It could be thermal throttling and turning off due to temp threshold.

Dec 4, 2020
Does the BSOD show any codes you can catch, or say anything specific?

Edit- lol I see the code you listed above....apologies for missing it on the reply. As you mention it says an issue with the installation.

Does friend happen to have another stick of RAM?

and you also never mentioned what BIOS temp is. It could be thermal throttling and turning off due to temp threshold.

How do I check the temp?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

How do I check the temp?

You cannot use DDR2 in a DDR3 socket. The notch will be in a different place to keep it from fitting.

To be fair I am not particularly familiar with the BIOS of that specific model, but (generally) every one I can recall has the motherboard and or CPU temp displayed.

What my thought is that the cooler maybe needs repasting and the CPU is getting too hot before it can load in OS or the installer and the PC is doing a thermal shutdown. It is a wide field guess, otherwise I have nothing.

Solution
Dec 4, 2020

OH the temperature.... The temperature seems fine or at least I think so because the system is not switching off by itself. Thank you for your input I appreciate it