Question Blue screen of death… Thought I tried everything to fix it… Please help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Hey all, as you can see in the title work out the stupid blue screen of death. I don’t know if my PC shut off wrong or powered down improperly, but I’ve tried restarting it from the trouble shoot menu, but it says there was a problem resetting your PC no changes were made. System restore just doesn’t even work for me. Trying to go back to the previous version says we ran into a problem and won’t be able to take you back to the previous version of windows try resetting your PC instead and it told me to troubleshoot and reset this PC, which doesn’t work. Start up repair just puts me back to the exact same screen that I’ve been on the whole time, AK blue screen. Says it couldn’t fix the problem. And lastly, command prompt can’t really do anything for me right now because it says not enough memory resources are available to process this command... my pc has been working fine for the last year and now this happens... ugh! Please help

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Are you able to perform a clean install?
If you are in safe mode, you should be able to grab any important data you want from it - back it up onto another drive, then clean install.

That will confirm if it is hardware or software - but there is likely OS corruption, so a clean install should resolve it.

Jun 16, 2019
Only solution is to format the C drive and reinstall windows if it doesnt work unplug your OS HDD and install OS on different drive backup your files and format the old HDD

Colif

Win 11 Master
dism command should run from safe mode, as should SFC... just not command prompt cause you not logged in.

if you need to copy anything off C, try this from command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

without knowing what bsod you getting at startup, its hard to tell what to do.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
dism command should run from safe mode, as should SFC... just not command prompt cause you not logged in.

if you need to copy anything off C, try this from command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

without knowing what bsod you getting at startup, its hard to tell what to do.
Should I copy all of those files onto the USB, and then boot from that USB? I honestly have no idea what to do right now

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, no, that was more for saving anything you want to keep off the device, since you can't login

are you getting an actual BSOD or just stuck in windows recovery which is also blue? all the menus you describe are windows recovery.

Since reset doesn't work, and the other options don't lead you very far, I would clean install

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Reactions: PC Tailor