Blue Screen of Death Goes Black for Windows 8

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]teodoreh[/nom]Same here. Microsoft can use Black, Brown or Blue colors for their screens of death! ;D[/citation]
Don't forget Beige and Burgundy. There may be a few other colors that start with B as well...

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]It's more like this...Win3.0 -> Win95 -> Win98 -> WinME -> WinXP Home -> Vista Home -> Win7 Home -> Win8Win3.1 -> WinNT4 -> Win2K -> WinXP Pro -> Vista Business -> Win7 Pro - Win8WindowsME was NOT the successor to Windows2000, WindowsXP was....WindowsME was the "consumer" release and successor to Windows98, whereas Windows2000 was the "commercial" release and successor to WindowsNT 4.0..[/citation]
Windows 3.0 does not really precede Win95 since it wasn't a OS - it was a DOS GUI shell. Besides, there was 3.1 and 3.11 after it before Win95 was released. And also there were Windows 1.0, 2.0 and a few flavors of 2.x (286, 386) before Windows 3.0 was released. They all sucked BTW until Windows 3.0 was released.

On the workstation/professional side, it does start with 3.1, but Windows NT 3.1, followed by NT 3.5 and NT 4.0.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Haven't had a single OS crash on win7 and i even run a couple of "hobby" servers 24/7 on it along with a quite heavy gaming rig (overclocked 2600k with 2x 480 gtx in sli and no the 480s haven't burned the way down to my neighbors yet =)) and have yet to see the OS crash. Have only seen a couple of "program stopped responding" over the last year and my bet is that its more likely poorly coded apps/games/drivers that are responsible for those than the OS.

If they manage to get win8 to the same level of stability the BSOD will be nothing more than a frightening story to tell the children (or used in smudge marketing).

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]Windows 3.0 does not really precede Win95 since it wasn't a OS - it was a DOS GUI shell. Besides, there was 3.1 and 3.11 after it before Win95 was released. And also there were Windows 1.0, 2.0 and a few flavors of 2.x (286, 386) before Windows 3.0 was released. They all sucked BTW until Windows 3.0 was released.On the workstation/professional side, it does start with 3.1, but Windows NT 3.1, followed by NT 3.5 and NT 4.0.[/citation]
Well to be fair the Windows 9X family also was a GUI shell running on top of DOS.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
windows vista, windows 7, windows 8 - all so closely released. Anybody else get a slight pain when they need to reinstall their OS and reload everything? Maybe the focus should be on just making a really good OS that will work well for 5 years.

But of course, it wouldn't make as much money as Microsoft would like.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Rather than work on the look of the screen, give an easier way to resolve the codes. Another screen on bootup that link to an online database where users can report similar hardware and such.[/citation]
Microsoft could never pull that off. They couldn't even pull off the thing that asks you if you want to check for a solution to the "problem" (ie. a program crash). You say yes and it does absolutely nothing.

alzheimerz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
[citation][nom]pclee[/nom]Maybe they're going with black because they can't get white to work? Oh...that's Apple![/citation]

Hahaha..

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
ME may not have preceded win2k (and i actually imply that when i wrote separate markets), it nevertheless hit many desktops who were in no way going to let winME get anywhere near their hard drives. I preferred win2k over ME on my desktop, as did many others.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]It needs to be more than mac. Since macs have the Gray Screen of Death, Windows will be even darkiest.[/citation]

Windows are already more than mac, about 18 times more worldwide if you didn't knew - MS have no need to copycat a tiny fraction of the pc market!

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
How about "Your computer needs to be thrown out through the window!" or "You need to be hit on the head." followed by a ..3..2..1..?

unclealek2659

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
just saying, i still use xp, but thats only because win7 isn't free, and i already own xp, so why spend the money on something that doesn't matter, i can still play crysis. and i feel that most xp users feel that way too, so bug off, were not buying 7.(i do have 7 on my laptop, its a good OS)

now that i got that out of the way, im glad to see the blue screen go, but only therapy can truly make the image go away

verbalizer

Distinguished

you can win 7 for free too... :ange:

Status
Not open for further replies.