Question Blue screen of death when booting from Windows installer USB drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2022
Computer spec
Intel i7-8700k
ASUS z370-a prime
gtx 1070ti --> RTX 3070ti
EVGA supernova 750 G2 --> Corsair RM750x
Tridentz RGB Gskill DDR4 8gig * 2
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB / ADATA SSD SP900 256G

Computer didn't work --> replaced power supply / graphic card --> worked but still blue screen keep came up --> checked all my drivers and windows update to keep it up to date --> didn't work / tried resetting my windows --> same so clean reinstalled windows via boot usb stick --> still same and updated my BIOS --> now can't even get into my OS. --> tried clean install again but boot usb causes blue screen again.

Below this is what I already tried and some blue screen error codes in the progress

Specific things that I have tried throughout this progress
windows memory diagnosis
memtest86
trying using different memory port and tried using only one of my two RAMs
--> guess my RAM is fine?

chkdsk
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
tried using other ssd
--> boot usb didn't work either so I guess my ssd is fine?

Graphic card & power : new products so don't think these are problems

tried using internal gpu in my cpu but didn't show anything on my screen.
not sure if I tried this in a wrong way.

used different usb sticks and usb ports and different ways to get my windows. ISO through lufus, windows tool, formatting to not only fat32 but exfat and ntfs too

Codes for my BSOD:

when I was able to get into my windows, blue screen codes were:
unexpected kernel mode trap
iqrl not less or equal
whea uncorrectable error
system service exception

and using bluescreen monitor, errors sources were:
pshed.dll
ntoskrnl.exe

After I can't even get into my OS & usb stick boot blue screen codes are:
Page Fault in nonpage area
dpc watchdog violation
driver overran stack buffer
attempted execute of nonexecute memory
ketnel auto boose invalid lock release
driver pnp watchdog
and lot more that I didnt even bother to write it down cuz there were so damn many codes

only thing that works on my computer now is BIOS screen only.

Colif

Win 11 Master
updated bios?

try running prime 95 - will take about 17 hours
Prime 95 Bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

Prime 95 Instructions - https://appuals.com/how-to-run-a-cpu-stress-test-using-prime95/

its hardware, windows shouldn't BSOD on install.
if you hadn't run memtest I wouldn't have deleted my suggestion to run it.

do you have a wifi dongle? take out if you do.
try installing with bare minimum hardware, remove anything not needed to install. Any extra USB devices.

remove overclocks

might need to remove GPU to get IGPU to work.
try installing without internet connection...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022
Thanks. I'll try that.
One thing is keep bothering me tho. I heard that I shouldn't stress test my power supply. will this program allow me to exclude my power supply during the test?
And regarding overclock, I have never used overclock so i have no idea where to disable it. I just clicked default button on my BIOS but where can I check if my overclock is off for sure?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't really exclude the power supply from Prime as it stress tests CPU & Ram, and its going to need power to do that.

It should be okay, the RMx should be able to handle it.

I am curious if you will get rounding errors, as you have so many errors it has to be something like that.

I assume you didn't replace anything just before it started playing up

You probably not overclocked then, I just had to ask as it could be reason for all the errors.

its unlikely but could try a different USB drive. Doubtr a USB drive could cause some of them but weirder things have happened.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022
It took some time to download the file cuz I didn't have any sort of torrent program.
I used a usb stick to boot my computer with this program. I checked the how to use prime95 page but I am not sure what options I must choose.

there are lots of options from the start: BIOS CPU HDD MEMORY and much more like FFT size and blend and some stuffs like that. can you tell me some specific info for the option settings?

Nov 10, 2022
options like
CPU - mersenne prime 28.5 - in place large ffts - fine tune the selection (? not sure what this is) - min fft size (not sure ) - max fft size (not sure) - memory to use (not sure) - time to run each fft size (not sure)
no idea what this options means and even if I did understand, i'm not sure what I should type in.
plz check and it will be great if you can give me info about this

Nov 10, 2022
currently I just typed
CPU - mersenne prime 28.5 - in place large ffts - fine tune selection Y - min fft size 1 - max fft size 4096 - memory to use 0 - time to run each fft size 2
is this okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.