Blue screen of death when installing windows xp

chill_pill

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Hello,

So i have this old notebook Asus PRO31U and tried to install Win XP recently with no luck. After loading all the files it just gives me a blue screen with 'setup could not continue if this is the first time...........check for viruses on your computer......run chkdsk-f'....etc. I already formatted the HDD with GParted and made a fresh partition table. So please if someone could help me with an answer or an idea of what to do next, i will be forever grateful.
Cheers

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
did your laptop came with Windows Xp on it? did you have Windows XP installed on it before?
If you had XP already installed before, then i guess you have a hardware problem.
If you had something else installed on it (i.e Vista) then, some laptop OEM's kinda "screw" you and wont let you install older OS's. I had an Acer laptop with Vista, but could not install Windows XP because of the laptop's BIOS, it would not allow it...

chill_pill

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

It came with Vista pre-installed but i formatted and installed XP before with no problem... i'm wondering if i can change a Bios setting or something. How can i make sure it's a hardware problem?

StalValr_Anu

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

Load Bios and change it to IDE. If it still does it, you need to find drivers for your Raid Controler, or other custom drivers. Windows XP does not come with everything you need, if you're trying to downgrade a PC from 7 or Vista.
Additionally, I noticed you are installing XP on another partition. If you are going to use dual operating systems, I should warn you. Using older Windows with Windows 7 can cause some horrible registry problems. You're better off fully downgrading if you want an older version of Windows instead of 7 (ie: XP)