Blue screen of death

stuess

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
My Hp laptop has been getting the blue screen for some time now. Every time I start the computer, within the first 5 minutes of starting it it gets a blue screen with a message "crash dump" and it shows a memory dump percentage. I always power it off before the crash dump reaches 100 percent. I used to be able to get on the computer in safe more,but now it crash dumps on either mode. I have no idea what is causing this. I need a solution for the problem. Any ideas you guys might have would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

kurjack

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Plenty of problems could cause this. Unfortunately it is pretty hard to debug a laptop. I would look at the error code you are getting on the blue screen and try googling it. It may help determine whats wrong.

windflow

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Ahh the dreaded blue screen of death. It seems to strike at the most inopportune times doesn’t it? When you get the Windows blue screen it typically means you are having a problem in your registry. When your computer has trouble communication information between software, hardware, and drivers it will crash. The best way to fix this problem is to scan your registry for errors which are causing the communication issues.

kendy

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
suggestions:
1.restore or reinstall your system...this is the most direct...

2.fix the issue by software such as Windows Boot Genius, it can help fix the issue in a Win PE sysem...

3.check if there any malware or virus exist...sometimes they may cause the issue,too.

first off pull the battery and ac power flip the laptop over and make sure all the ram is seated..i seen a lot of laptop ram pop out over time. burn a hirem boot cd and run memtest86 and anti virus scan from the cd to make sure the ram and unit not infected. if there a ram issue and you have two ram sticks. remove one and rerun memtest. if it clean swap the ram and see if the other stick is the one with the errors.

trunkmonkey

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Head over here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/after-installation-of-update-kb2670838-win-7-keeps/66be9f5a-2257-4c4a-9c9c-5dc6f0f55d37?page=3&tab=AllReplies&tm=1362140915331

You are one of many. Try updating your display driver to the latest version available. Or uninstall this very recent Windows Update: KB2670838

Then either disable auto updates or hide the update until MS get's it figured out.
I'm getting it but with different driver, and no installed update. But I do have a recent beta ati driver installed so that's what I'm going to try next. Frustrating. Haven't had a BSOD for a long time, overclocking and all. Now 5 in 3 days.