Blue screen of death

syakovlev

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
I have a custom build that's about a year old and I brought it with me back home on spring break. At home there is only old monitors but when i tried to plug in my computer (through dvi like I usually use) the screen gets green horizontal lines and after the windows welcome screen i get a blue screen of death. When I get into safe mode everything works fine and I ran a system restore. Any other ideas on how I can fix this?

Is it possible a piece of hardware is broken? I was running dual monitors with a 3840x1080 picture is that maybe complicating things?

Solution
You're experiencing this problem because of corrupt system files, problem with shell-extensions.

1. Insert Windows installation disc.
2. Click the Start button.
3. Point to All Programs | Accessories.
4. Right click "Command Prompt".
5. Select "Run as administrator".
6. Type the following command-
sfc/ scannow
7. Press ENTER.

When you're done scanning and repairing all system files, it's time to check for memory problems.

1. Click Start, type "Windows Memory Diagnostic"
2. Press ENTER.
3. Click "Restart now and check for problems"
4. Your computer will restart and conduct memory tests.

Last but not the least, scan system settings for problems related to application configurations. Repair them and then you won't experience...

neieus

Distinguished
You should try uninstalling your drivers from safe mode or from inside windows of you can keep it running long enough. Sounds to me your video card is looking for your old monitor setup or the resolution of your current monitor doesn't work with what its trying to set.

syakovlev

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

I'm in safe mode now. How would I go about doing this? Do I go into device manager and just remove my graphics card (I have a AMD Radeon HD 7900) or is there other stuff I should remove too?

Edit: I unistalled the radeon driver and restarted computer in normal mode and everything seemed fine (just very small resolution). My computer auto-reinstalled the driver and told me to restart my computer. When I did that I kept getting the same problems.

syakovlev

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
I downloaded the cleaner and did what they told me to do. What do I do next? I tried re installing the driver from amd's site but when its down I get the same crash I did in the beginning. Do I need to run it a couple of times or is there somewhere to delete the memory so it stops trying to get the old settup?

JoshuaMilk420

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
You're experiencing this problem because of corrupt system files, problem with shell-extensions.

1. Insert Windows installation disc.
2. Click the Start button.
3. Point to All Programs | Accessories.
4. Right click "Command Prompt".
5. Select "Run as administrator".
6. Type the following command-
sfc/ scannow
7. Press ENTER.

When you're done scanning and repairing all system files, it's time to check for memory problems.

1. Click Start, type "Windows Memory Diagnostic"
2. Press ENTER.
3. Click "Restart now and check for problems"
4. Your computer will restart and conduct memory tests.

Last but not the least, scan system settings for problems related to application configurations. Repair them and then you won't experience above issue again.

Solution