Blue Screen on startup then computer restarts

otis615

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Ok so i decided i was going to fix my friends computer. it starts up and before it gets to windows it goes into a blue screen for like a 1/2 second then restarts and does the same thing again. i figured the easiest thing to do would be to format and reinstall windows but every time i try i tell it to install windows and it just stops at the part where it examines the hard drive. i don't think it's freezing. then i gave up on that and realized it had a restore program built into it but again it stops before it loads the program all the way. i know it's not freezing here because i can see and move the mouse pointer. on both the restore program and the windows xp disc i let it sit for atleast a 1/2 hour and i tried them both more then once. then i thought maybe it's the hard drive so i ran drive fitness test and it passed so the drive is fine. i'm not sure where to go from here. i can't see what the error is on the blue screen because it's so fast, any ideas?

it's an emachine w3107. all factory parts still. windows xp. thanks in advance for the help.

otis615

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
correct i never reached the option to install windows and i did the thorough test and it passed. but i was able to format with a program i got from seagate. then it let me install windows so it's all sorted i think. hopefully there's no more problems. i was able to see the error by using f8 but i forget what it said. i have no idea what crashed the computer so hopefully it doesn't happen again. so far so good though. thanks for the help. :)

neilcarpo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
I have the same problem but i am an idiot with computers and in general

Can i fix this myself?, im travelling overseas and cant leave it in a local shop

Any help would be appreciated

OOM Jor

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

Maybe try a check disk repair by plugging the hdd in to another computer go to dos and type chkdsk /r if this does not relieve the problem go in to recovery console when booting from xp disk choose option recovery console chkdsk /r this has helped in the past.

Daniel218

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I've been having this problem on a netbook I use for school, formatting is something I'd like to avoid, but it looks like the only other option is to get new RAM. Is that what I should be doing?

I'm using an ACER Aspire ONE all factory default parts.

Stefilutz

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

Actually, it's not ok to run chckdsk on that HDD, on another PC, because that PC has another hardware configuration.

RyanGEI

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014

Actually, it is ok to run chkdsk on another computer, as long as you plug the "problem" HDD into the known good PC as a secondary drive, so you still boot the main HDD of the known good PC. I just did this exact thing and it worked like a charm; however, that doesn't mean it will be the 100% solution for the OP, though still worth a shot.

As an added bonus for plugging the "problem" HDD into a known good PC as a secondary drive, you can backup any files you need to a different drive. That way, if you do end up re-imaging the "problem" HDD, you at least keep your files.

Sadewt

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014

Could you explain in more detail what you did? Im a novice in this stuff, but im having the same issue as you were.

Stamos7

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
i have kinda the same problem...but....when i plug in the HDD of my pc it works correctly...when i unplug it and plug a HDD of a friend whith windows xp in it, then the problem of BSOD and restart when the logo of Windows Xp appears....i plug in again my original HDD and it works....is anything wrong with my friend's HDD? Cause he went to a store and transfered his HDD data to an external HDD and i has like..."How the hell did the store dudes connected his HDD on a computer?" ....it's IDE btw, not sata!!!! any ideas???

xLastComrade

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Guys I somehow managed to fix this problem. What I did was go into the BIOS and went to the drives section. Once I was there I noticed that there were 3 options. The first one was AHCI, the second one was ATA, then the third one was Legacy. The default option was AHCI so then what I did was pick ATA instead of AHCI. Then I restarted my computer me now it works just fine. Let me know if this worked you guys.

DarkySpear5

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014

I have the same problem and i tried the hdd on my other pc and the hdd works fine, can run windows 7 everything is good.. whenever i plug it back to my main pc, bluescreen at windows7 startup.. Then i tried to plug my hdd from the ''ok'' pc to the wrong one and same error. That means its not the hdd but maybe the mother board because i also tried other ram stick on everyslot.. If it can helps to find an answer, please help me :/

jayooin

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015

This worked for me, I changed the "SATA Operation" in the BIOS. From "Intel Smart Response Technology" to AHCI, and then Windows could start.
I guess that the SSD drive or a controller is malfunctioning. But the tests using the Diagnostic tools of the PC didn't show anything wrong.

This was on a DELL XPS 15z.

rasucha

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

Yeah, worked for me too. I simply disabled 'SATA' in the BIOS. My machine is Compaq Presario C5oo and after blowing it with vacuum cleaner (not inside, just the keyboard, fan and vents) it just wouldn't boot. Every time I started it, BSOD appeared for a sec and it restarted again. Simply disabling SATA saved me hours of painful torment :) For a moment I had totally given up thinking I might've damaged my laptop due to the static electric charge of vacuum cleaner, but I guess I was wrong :)

Ram_214

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016

Jerymie Jay

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

this works - Thank you

TRENDING THREADS