Blue Screen(s) of death on Laptop

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Greetings,

So my mothers laptop has been getting BSODs constantly and randomly.
I've looked up the error messages and they all seem to be Driver related.
Critical Process Died
Kernel Security Check Failure, Etc etc.

Every time we boot up the laptop, the next BSOD is usually a different error message, but all relate to a Driver.

I clean installed Windows, Updated Windows 10 and went into the Device Manager and updated every single item in the list, that had an update available.

It all seemed fine, and then she connected the laptop to our printer via USB cable, and it seemed to have the BSOD happen again, and its happening again. There wasn't enough time between the clean install and the printer connecting to see if the reinstall fixed the problem completely. This does lead me to think perhaps it a printer related driver problem BUT, I don't think she downloaded any drivers before connecting the printer, and I'm not sure if it auto installed drivers.

Can anyone shed some light onto this problem, and if there is a fault in my information, correct it?

I've tried several things to fix before the clean install, like System File Checker, Driver Verifier, Memory Diagnostics Tests.

Cheers and thank you for the time.

PS: Laptop is an ASUS laptop.

Solution

According to the dump file, you have 2 sticks of RAM.

4096MB - 1600MHz - SK Hynix - HMT451S6CFR6A-PB
4096MB - 1600MHz - Samsung - M471B5173EB0-YK0

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does PC get into windows or just stop on the error code at startup?
If its getting stuck,
boot up using the win 10 installer
on the screen after the language choices, choose Repair this PC, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose Advanced
Choose Command prompt
type notepad and Notepad will open
go to file > Open and file explorer will open
go to C:\windows and copy the Memory.dmp file to another USB (you may need to choose show hidden files and folders to see it
Upload the copy from the USB to a file sharing web site, share a link here, and we see what the cause is.

What model printer is it?

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014

9 times out of 10 the PC will boot into Windows and load correctly.
Then the PC will BSOD at a random time. Be it 5 seconds after windows boots, or 5 hours.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since it boots
Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

its the same as above request, difference is file size is much smaller on the mini dumps

Try installing the latest drivers from here - https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-deskjet-2600-all-in-one-printer-series/12319824

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KLKoAN7ISDR_qQY23qsdtTMqO6SqYMqw

Here should be a zip of the 2 dmp files I found on the laptop. After testing the laptop more it didn't seem to get fixed from the things I (re)tried.

If someone would like to test the .dmp files for me to help figure out this problem I'd be very happy. Or help me learn how to read the .dmp files myself for future cases.

(Let me know if the link doesn't work, I don't use cloud storage too much, especially not sharing)

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the memory.dmp file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/Cx7q.html

File: MEMORY.DMP (Aug 4 2018 - 14:08:57)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mssmbios.sys
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

mssmbios.sys - System Management BIOS driver (Microsoft)

Unfortunately the minidump was 0 bytes long meaning it's not useful.

BIOS information was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an older BIOS is being used, look for updates. Note: Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Update: Looking at the Bios, the laptop is currently at version 407, I checked ASUS driver support page, they offer version 405. (Its possible I looked up the wrong laptop, but I think I got it right).

I currently have memtest64 running too. On a fresh windows 10 install.

Colif

Win 11 Master
mssmbios.sys = Microsoft System Management BIOS, this application allows your system to interface with the BIOS. Not seen that crash before

Which Asus laptop model do you think you think you have? the dump doesn't include that much info. Searching by BIOS number doesn't tell me a lot.

Do you have AI Suite installed? It might have a tab called EZ Update which will help you update bios and possibly drivers. It would also likely know what laptop its installed on.

Search for system info (in cortana) and see if it shows model number there?

Colif

Win 11 Master
both X556UA & F556UA both show up as same model, both do show latest BIOS as 405... how did you do that lol.

I wonder if downloading 405 and flashing BIOS with it might fix this.

I can find 1 reference to bios 407 and its on a random driver updating web site, dated Feb 2017 - Have you ever run any 3rd party driver installers?

I thought maybe you got it from one of the other models listed but X556UA has the newest version.

You probably don't need AI Suite, you should use Asus Live Update instead, its on your laptop page.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
I just factory reset the laptop once more, to see what the default bios was, and it was 407, before any updates were started.
I'll now go through the asus driver downloads to and install those

ps: the laptop BSOD twice while doing the Windows Setup (with login, Cortana, etc).

edit: tried doing a bios update with winflash. says I have 407 with the build date 3/12/2018. the one from Asus support page is 405 build date 10/21/2016. Both for X556UA. And wouldn't let me do the flash.

Colif

Win 11 Master
bios 407 dated 2018 is difficult to find on internet, I found 407 but its dates are different and so is what its for.

its very odd to have a BIOS loaded that isn't on the web site. I would ask Asus about that one. It might be why mssmbios.sys is crashing. Try sending an email from here - https://www.asus.com/Laptops/X556UA/HelpDesk_BIOS/

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014

I will try to contact ASUS about the bios. They tend to respond quickly.
Today after a day or two of no BSOD, the laptop got "Bad Pool Header" just now.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014

If it BSOD's once then twice (different code tho) will the dump file rewrite to the newer BSOD?
I'll work on getting the dumpfiles moving forwards, while I wait for Asus to get back on my bout the Bios.

Colif

Win 11 Master

no,. it makes a new minidump file every time it crashes.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Well the laptop was behaving well. But not its in an almost infinite loop of BSOD, crash, reboot, BSOD.
Here are 5 minidump files I managed to get before it crashed.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mFLWyLxRQrJqQPSuhSUkXkENwA2E8O7s

also to mention.
ASUS Support was next to no help.
I mentioned how the BIOS version was 407, and ASUS only has 405.
They said they only have 405, but its possible it got an updated BIOS on the assembly line.
The moment I mentioned that the PC was BSOD'ing. They said to send it in (for an estimate of 450 USD, the laptop is only like 500 USD). And then stopped assisting me after I told them I won't and can't afford that.

If the e.rar causes any problems downloading, I can put the minudump files on the drive individually.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/K6hY.html

File: 083118-5984-01.dmp (Aug 31 2018 - 12:05:35)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: LogonUI.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

File: 083118-5250-01.dmp (Aug 31 2018 - 12:23:57)
BugCheck: [STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED (C000021A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

The following dump files were 0 bytes long which means they are invalid:
083118-6218-01.dmp
083118-4093-01.dmp
080418-7781-01.dmp

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
LogonUI = Windows Logon User Interface
csrss.exe = Client services. This is what runs your user. Windows cannot run without it

No wonder PC isn't loading.

what memory diagnostics did you do? Did you run memtest86? If not, download it on another computer and use it to burn a USB. Test each individual ram stick, 1 at a time. Any error count higher than 0 is too high. Remove/replace ram with errors.

I am not suggesting this as a reaction to your last question, just something I should have suggested before. All the odd errors could be ram

Still curious how you got a newer bios than what Asus have on web site. I heard their answer but why is it on factory floor and no on web site yet?

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014

I'm not sure why it would be on my laptop, and seemingly no other laptop of the same model. Or that asus itself doesn't have that BIOS version.

I tried using WinFlash to flash the bios to 405, but being an "older" model, that program won't do it.
Is my only method to flash it via the Bios itself? Being a laptop I won't need to worry about a surge, but what if it BSOD during the bios flash? The end result would be the same wouldn't it?

I did run memtest86 once for only 40minutes. No error or problems occurred in that short timespan. I can do it again, and for a longer time if needed. Provided the computer would boot and not BSOD.

The reason I am curious if its hardware related is because I've Reset this PC several times already, sometimes back to back, and the problems still occur (and sometimes even in the middle of Windows Setup).

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its likely to be hardware if you get errors during installation of windows. I was hoping it was ram since its easiest part to replace.

Try testing your CPU using this - it makes a bootable USB - http://www.tcsscreening.com/files/users/IPDT_UEFI/

Only way you would get a BSOD during a bios flash is if you used a windows utility to flash it. Asus have a tool built into the BIOS called EZ Flash. If you boot into bios, windows isn't running and BSOD only happen in Windows. Having said that, you could still crash in a bios flash and your fears are justified. Lets test rest of hardware before going back to the bios.