[SOLVED] Blue screen when installing windows on new PC with a USB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captain-Give-A-Hand

Commendable
Aug 17, 2019
So I recently put together my first build for a gaming PC. It works fine, it loads into the bios and such. When I attempted to install windows 10 onto it via a USB stick, it kept giving me errors once it starts the set up. the first was error 0x8007025D. I deleted and then reinstalled the windows 10 installer onto the USB after that and when I tried again it made it to 13% before another error popped up 0xC0000005. On the third attempt it went back to the other error and now it's just a blue screen followed by a restart that doesn't really do much other than keep the power on and not send any information to the screen every time it tries to start up with the USB plugged in. I've made sure all the BIOS are on default and that the SSD I want to install windows on is the only one active (and given that it's the only memory I have on the PC that's not difficult).

Has anyone else encountered this problem before? Is there a fix or did I just waste money on a PC I can't use now?

Last edited:
Solution
You wasted money on a PC you can't use now. Nah, I'm JK.
That first part actually gave me a heart attack ya mad yoke XD Bravo.
Now you see why he is retired :D (just jokes)

Ah, okay. So the boot order is UEFI USB, then the SSD and then a non UEFI version of the USB tjat comes up automatically whenever it's plugged in.

Now that boot order is wrong. USB shouldn't be in it at all. ssd shouldn't really either if its blank still. I would take USB out as that will only mess with install process.

your motherboard has boot over ride option. What it lets you do is boot off a drive once and then next boot it won't see the drive and use normal ones. Page 57 here -...
You'll need to make sure that it's configured to boot from the flash drive. You may need to go into the BIOS to do that, and you may not. I don't know because I don't know how you currently have your boot order configured.

It's not a bother, you need help, that's why we all volunteer here, to help.

Captain-Give-A-Hand

Commendable
Aug 17, 2019
You'll need to make sure that it's configured to boot from the flash drive. You may need to go into the BIOS to do that, and you may not. I don't know because I don't know how you currently have your boot order configured.

It's not a bother, you need help, that's why we all volunteer here, to help.

Ah, okay. So the boot order is UEFI USB, then the SSD and then a non UEFI version of the USB tjat comes up automatically whenever it's plugged in. All three are under boot priority as well. There's also an option to set Windows OS configuration to UEFI or something that I think is CSM(?). When I click to set it to UEFI the icon for the SSD drive disappears from the boot priority anyways, as does the non UEFI USB icon.

I tried to boot up the USB with the G thing on it and nothing happened. At first theres was a black screen and nothing else so I had to hold down the power button to turn it off, then when I turned it back on again it took me to the screen that all PCs have. Where it says "press this button to go here" and so on and same issue again where no buttons worked so I had to hold down the power button to turn it off again. The USB is also plugged into a 2.0 port on the motherboard next to the Flash BIOS port.

It's a shame I can't send pictures for reference, I'm sh*te at describing things.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You wasted money on a PC you can't use now. Nah, I'm JK.
That first part actually gave me a heart attack ya mad yoke XD Bravo.

Ah, okay. So the boot order is UEFI USB, then the SSD and then a non UEFI version of the USB tjat comes up automatically whenever it's plugged in.

Now that boot order is wrong. USB shouldn't be in it at all. ssd shouldn't really either if its blank still. I would take USB out as that will only mess with install process.

your motherboard has boot over ride option. What it lets you do is boot off a drive once and then next boot it won't see the drive and use normal ones. Page 57 here - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C84v1.1.pdf

What you should do is put USB at boot
go into bios
go to save & exit screen
choose boot override
pick USB from list
PC will restart and boot from USB. When win 10 installation gets to stage it needs to restart it should just see the ssd at this stage and complete install.

Are the errors you getting BSOD or just windows isn't working cause the install isn't complete?

CSM is what swaps the boot method. The disappearing drives makes sense as Legacy boot method can't see UEFI. You should leave it as UEFI.

Solution

Captain-Give-A-Hand

Commendable
Aug 17, 2019

your motherboard has boot over ride option. What it lets you do is boot off a drive once and then next boot it won't see the drive and use normal ones. Page 57 here - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C84v1.1.pdf

What you should do is put USB at boot
go into bios
go to save & exit screen
choose boot override
pick USB from list
PC will restart and boot from USB. When win 10 installation gets to stage it needs to restart it should just see the ssd at this stage and complete install.

Are the errors you getting BSOD or just windows isn't working cause the install isn't complete?

CSM is what swaps the boot method. The disappearing drives makes sense as Legacy boot method can't see UEFI. You should leave it as UEFI.

Yeah my heart sank when I saw that sentence. It gave me a good laugh though which I very much needed at the time :D

I'll give it a shot. Will the boot override get rid of any partitions that can't be deleted during the install process too?

It gave me the BSOD whenever it tried to boot up the USB with the Windows 10 installer on it. It only did this twice and hasn't done it since. Now it's just the aforementioned error messages again. And always at 12-13% of the install. Basically I get past selecting which version I need (language, etc.) then I pick Windows 10 Home, click the "I don't have a product key" option and then it begins the install. The first thing it's supposed to load installs fine but then the one directly underneath that one is when the error messages appear.

Colif

Win 11 Master
There shouldn't be partitions you can't remove.

Your bios has secure erase which you could use to wipe the ssd. It is on the settings advanced menu

Enables or disables Secure Erase+ function. Secure Erase+ is the best way to effectively wipe all data from a SSD. Please note that data of SSD will be erased after enabling Secure Erase+.
page 55 of manual.

It sounds to me like the problem is the ssd itself if it crashes on the part of install where its copying windows onto the ssd itself.

Captain-Give-A-Hand

Commendable
Aug 17, 2019
There shouldn't be partitions you can't remove.

Yeah two of them appeared after the first install attempt along with the one marked "unallocated space", which I understand is where Windows 10 is meant to be installed. It allowed me to delete one of them but won't let me touch the other.

It sounds to me like the problem is the ssd itself if it crashes on the part of install where its copying windows onto the ssd itself.

Like it's faulty or it's just getting in the way and once Windows is installed it shouldn't be a problem after that?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i just skimmed over the thread first time and didn't notice all the other errors. Up until 1st restart the installer is running in ram. It could be a memory problem as that is the most common cause of BSOD during installs.

try making memtest on another PC - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

You can't remove unallocated space as its just empty space.

try running secure erase in bios before running installer.

as for 2nd bit, yeah. drive itself might be faulty as I haven't seen win 10 installs fail at that part before.

Captain-Give-A-Hand

Commendable
Aug 17, 2019
i just skimmed over the thread first time and didn't notice all the other errors. Up until 1st restart the installer is running in ram. It could be a memory problem as that is the most common cause of BSOD during installs.

try making memtest on another PC - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

You can't remove unallocated space as its just empty space.

try running secure erase in bios before running installer.

as for 2nd bit, yeah. drive itself might be faulty as I haven't seen win 10 installs fail at that part before.

So for the memtest is it the same deal as Windows installer where I put it on a USB from the other PCand then run it on the new PC?

So I ran the secure erase and then switched the setting to UEFI which took away the extra USB and the SSD in boot priority. No blue screen or anything like that, but now it gives me error 0x8007025D again. This time only at 1% of the "installing files" part.

Also for some reason whennI turn the new PC on, it will sometimes just show a blank screen and nothing else and I have to hold down the power button to turn ot off. Is that something to worry about or is it normal because there's nothing on the PC to begin with?

Colif

Win 11 Master
So for the memtest is it the same deal as Windows installer where I put it on a USB from the other PCand then run it on the new PC?
yes

Also for some reason whennI turn the new PC on, it will sometimes just show a blank screen and nothing else and I have to hold down the power button to turn ot off. Is that something to worry about or is it normal because there's nothing on the PC to begin with?
it should just load into bios as there is nothing on PC. Its possible its trying to boot win 10 as its difficult to say how far install process gets to when it crashes at the copying onto ssd stage. it won't get very far and would be impossible to use as it would only have one user account and it has no passwords. Its only purpose is to install win 10, once the restart occurs and you actually make a user it is deleted.

Captain-Give-A-Hand

Commendable
Aug 17, 2019
yes

it should just load into bios as there is nothing on PC. Its possible its trying to boot win 10 as its difficult to say how far install process gets to when it crashes at the copying onto ssd stage. it won't get very far and would be impossible to use as it would only have one user account and it has no passwords. Its only purpose is to install win 10, once the restart occurs and you actually make a user it is deleted.

Out of curiosity, does it matter which slot I put the SSD into? I have it in the one closest to the CPU and then there's another slot underneath the graphics card.

Also the tests came back negative. No ram errors whatsoever. I'm quite relieved at that.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think in most cases people use the top slot first, it is numbered as M.2 slot 1 whereas one below is M.2 slot 2. That is how it is in my PC so I assume its the same. Manual doesn't mention any order.

That is good then. Its better to check ram before hand than to waste time if it had been cause.

If you could I would check that m.2 drive out in another PC.

Captain-Give-A-Hand

Commendable
Aug 17, 2019
I think in most cases people use the top slot first, it is numbered as M.2 slot 1 whereas one below is M.2 slot 2. That is how it is in my PC so I assume its the same. Manual doesn't mention any order.

That is good then. Its better to check ram before hand than to waste time if it had been cause.

If you could I would check that m.2 drive out in another PC.

Ah grand stuff.

Righto then. Could I plug it into my current PC without running a risk of damaging everything? On the off chance this is because of a botched SSD I'd rather it not damage the only PC I'll be able to use until a new one can be acquired, ya know?

Captain-Give-A-Hand

Commendable
Aug 17, 2019
It's not a bother, you need help, that's why we all volunteer here, to help
If you could I would check that m.2 drive out in another PC

Hey I just wanted to give an update. So it turns out it was the USB. Install went grand and I just finished updating the system. Failed to do the nvidia install but I'll just go their main website for that.

Cheers for all the help you guys. I learned a great deal about what goes into PC set up through this. I now have a newfound respect for the whole thing.

Cheers and stay safe put there.

Jan 11, 2023
Made an account so I could communicate this to anyone in the future who has this issue. Enabling CSM in the bios is what finally got me to the purple setup screen for Windows 10. Finally got to the Windows logo and now trying to troubleshoot initializing the actual install.

Tried multiple USBs and was having the same issue across all of them. Idk why CSM resolved this, but it did. Hope this helps you future person.

I have never had a PC give me this much trouble during a Windows install. Ryzen 5700G with no GPU. ASUS MB with an updated BIOS. Not looking for support, just trying to communicate to those troubleshooting this in the future.

Last edited: