Question Blue screening after windows update

Thouxanbanfauni

Prominent
Dec 6, 2022
I have been running Windows version 1909 for a couple of years and my PC works flawlessly on it, sadly it doesn't support some programs that i would want to be using. I have tried updating my windows but then my PC works really slowly and I keep getting memory management blue screens every 15 minutes, I've had to rollback my windows update so my PC can be usable again.
Could it be that i have faulty RAM? If so, why are they working perfectly on the old windows version and not on the new one.
I am running 2x4gb and 1x8gb RAM sticks.

Any help would be appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the make and model? BIOS version for your motherboard?

It might very well that the OS doesn't like the update due to a corruption in your current OS version. The best way I've come to deal with this issue, is backup all critical content, recreate the installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools then perform a clean install. The installer that you'll be creating will have the latest version(meaning the update that was BSoD'ing for after the update).

You should remove that single stick of 8GB and invest in a higher capacity ram kit, that have a matched set of ram.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
It's very common for Windows updates and upgrades (to a new version) to have issues, or even to fail, because of corruptions in the existing Windows system. These sorts of corruptions are mostly caused by incompatible third-party drivers, especially drivers that are not fully WIndows 10 compatible. If you have any devices that pre-date Windows 10, or which were not certified as Windows 10 compatible, and especially any that you had to 'hack' in some way to get them to install (using compatibility mode for example), then I would suggest that you uninstall these devices and their drivers, reboot (so that these drivers are not loaded) and then try updating/upgrading Windows again. If you must use these devices you can try reinstalling their drivers afterwards, but you may run into updating issues again if you do.

I have been running Windows version 1909 for a couple of years and my PC works flawlessly on it, sadly it doesn't support some programs that i would want to be using. I have tried updating my windows but then my PC works really slowly and I keep getting memory management blue screens every 15 minutes, I've had to rollback my windows update so my PC can be usable again.
Could it be that i have faulty RAM? If so, why are they working perfectly on the old windows version and not on the new one.

Any help would be appreciated!
no, most likely your RAM is fine, if you get bugchecks after a windows update to a new version then most likely you have a device driver installed on the current version that is doing something that is not allowed on the newer version of windows. For these cases you would want to do a clean install of the new version of windows so that the old stupid device drivers are not migrated forward to the new version of windows.

Generally, you would want to update the bios version before you install a new version of windows.
if you are upgrading to a new windows version you should also update the motherboard device drivers before you upgrade to the new version.

if you upgrade and get a bugcheck, you should provide the minidump file so that someone can take a quick look at it in the windows debugger and see what the problem is.

bugchecks in memory management does not always mean that there is a problem with your RAM. It means that windows determined that the data in RAM was wrong. it is really common since some driver patch memory locations in other drivers this is no longer allowed in current versions of windows. Problem is the old driver is migrated to the new windows, does the patch and windows think you have a virus and shuts down the system with a memory management error. (because the data in memory was modified from what it expected. due to virus infections windows now checks a bunch of memory locations for modification and bugcheck if the checksums are not correct)