[SOLVED] Blue screens every so often in my new first build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 17, 2019
Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NzfXTB
First time buying PC components and first time building it. I researched a lot so I wasn't completely lost.

I purchased a Ryzen 5 3600X and an Asrock b450m pro4 it meant that I needed to update the motherboard before installing the processor. So I built the PC without the processor and gave the PC and processor to a friend of mine that takes care of these things to update the motherboard with one of his (a Ryzen 2000) and installed my processor then.

The problems started when he told me that the latest motherboard update from the webpage (3.40) just wouldn't work on my processor (it wouldn't start-up). So he decided to install the previous one (3.30) which is the first motherboard update with compatibility with Ryzen 3000 and then everything worked perfectly, aside from the fact that sometimes once you restart, everything seems to stop (as usual), video output stops (as usual), but everything inside the case stays on, even the system starts making more sound from the fans, and it just doesn't reboot, I would have to press the reboot button on the case or hold the off button. So this problem occurred even before installing Windows 10, but honestly, this is barely an inconvenience in contrast to the blue screen...

So then I installed Windows 10. I pretty much followed this video from dear Tom:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXwMbmhCQuY&t=198s

I updated my drives just like in the video: windows update > restart > rinse repeat. Everything working wonderfully, I was just moving around some files from drive to drive and then the first blue screen happened. The stop code said: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Then my PC rebooted and I was back in windows 10 as if nothing happened. And then it happened again, and I think I was also doing something related to file transfering, but nothing I could find about that stop code was related to my drives. I tried some troubleshooting to no avail. Some posts mentioned to update the drivers or check for corrupted drivers.

Then, the next day, I decided to just reinstall Windows 10. This time I went with Windows 10 Home as if that would make a difference. Then, everything seemed much better, until several hours later I found myself creating and renaming a folder in my 2tb drive and the blue screen appeared again, this time with another stop code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I've tried some other things, again, to no avail. After that first blue screen, this would happen again even randomly, without doing anything on my PC, and it happened once while attempting to write this post. It seems like this problem does not arise when I'm in Safe Mode.

Recap: This problem seems to happen when moving files around, downloading stuff, creating darn folders, or just doing nothing.

Things I've tried:
sfc /scannow in Safe Mode with network
it says there ARE corrupted files but wasn't able to fix them

sfc /scannow in the advanced command prompt that runs before the OS
it said the exact same thing

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth in Safe Mode with network
Error: 0x800f081f
The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
It said that.

chkdsk c: /f /r in Safe Mode with network
Don't remember what it said or IF it said something at the end, but I did try it and it's still happening, so it didn't work!

Now imagine that I haven't done anything else that I have not described, so please feel free to give suggestions.

Solution
Just ran the first dump file (071919-7359-01.dmp). Bugcheck is 124, subtyoe 0x4 which is 'PCI Express Error' and no process.

Still drivers named are are WdNisDrv.sys and nvlddmkm.sys. Don't remember if we talked about this. Have you used DDU to clean graphics driver and do a clean install driver from nividia?

Also is the LAN driver for the motherboard up to date? Before you said the BSOD hapenned once when you opened Chrome. I'd suggest you check with ASRock website for your board and install the latest LAN/network driver.
Jul 17, 2019
Yes, there was a higher version of the bios but when my friend tried installing it, my processor wouldn't boot it. So he decided to lower it by one update and that one did boot.

Right now I decided to update it myself and it worked for me, I had no problems. So now my bios is up-to-date.

Went to test the PC again with the update and bluescreen.

:c

Jul 17, 2019
Last time I tested (videogame) the PC with both sticks, btw I stopped memtest on the second stick in order to update the bios.
Now I tested the PC with only the good ram stick and still got bluescreen. I think it's safe to say the ram and the bios are not responsible... maybe the motherboard?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Just ran the first dump file (071919-7359-01.dmp). Bugcheck is 124, subtyoe 0x4 which is 'PCI Express Error' and no process.

Still drivers named are are WdNisDrv.sys and nvlddmkm.sys. Don't remember if we talked about this. Have you used DDU to clean graphics driver and do a clean install driver from nividia?

Also is the LAN driver for the motherboard up to date? Before you said the BSOD hapenned once when you opened Chrome. I'd suggest you check with ASRock website for your board and install the latest LAN/network driver.

Reactions: AlaridKonz
Solution

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Also I forgot
I think it's safe to say the ram and the bios are not responsible... maybe the motherboard?

You had an error when running memtest on one of the RAM sticks. That's bad RAM and can cause BSODs. You need to return RAM and get replacement or other RAM.

Which PCIE slot have you installed the graphics card in? The first one, first from CPU? That 124 WHEA error might be because the card is in wrong slot or not secure in the proper slot. I'd suggest you reseat the graphics card and check with the good RAM stick.

You said you updated BIOS to latest version, as I said above also make sure you update all drivers including the nvidia (after DDU) and the LAN/network driver.

Jul 17, 2019
Which PCIE slot have you installed the graphics card in? The first one, first from CPU?
Yep, it has always been installed on the top slot. Believe me, I wanted so bad that this problem was due to improper installation; I actually went ahead and removed the GPU and gave it a soft brush just in case and installed it again. Didn't work though.
You said you updated BIOS to latest version, as I said above also make sure you update all drivers including the nvidia (after DDU) and the LAN/network driver.
I did exactly that and surprisingly I stopped getting BSODs. BUT, my gaming felt a little 'stuttery' at times, unlike before. Then, in the case of NieR Automata, after some time the game would kinda freeze the video output, but still kinda react to my inputs (I could listen the background music, my attacks, and entering and exiting the pause menu). After alt-tabbing, windows would function as normal, but NieR would be permanent black, but still reacting to my inputs. In the case of Far Cry 5 (which I installed after all this, so I had no point of reference) the game also felt a bit stuttery, but less so, and after like 10 - 30 minutes it would just 'cleanly' close the game, like instantly.
My regular non-gaming use was perfect, not any sort of crash or anything.

So I thought "well, I just traded an annoying problem with a less annoying one" and I was afraid that any tinkering to solve this new problem would accidentally revert everything.

But then I said what the hell and I decided to search for a system monitoring program that I can see during gaming. Before that, I went to check for updates and there was this one for windows 10, silly me. I installed the Windows 10 update while downloading CAM, restarted, ran CAM, ran the game and right in the main menu I got a BSOD. Yey.

Then I did the DDU, GPU driver combo but didn't help. Now I'm back to BSODs which I checked in WhoCrashed and WinDbg and they're the same kind of BSODs.

Jul 17, 2019
Alright, I actually have stopped getting BSODs and my gaming experience is perfect. So that means everything is fixed.

Since the last response, I made a memtest on my other ram overnight and it passed successfully (That means both have passed at least 8 times on their own, but together I got an error, so I dunno and I don't care).
Then, I went ahead and checked if by any chance there was a new update for my bios, and there was (from 3.4 to 3.5) and so I took care of that.
And then I repeated the DDU -> install gpu drivers from nvidia's website.

Only up to this point I tested a game and everything was fluid, no crashes and no BSODs.

I also read that having your power settings to high performance would fix gpu related BSODs to some people. But I don't think it did much for me.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.