Question Bluescreen when installing AMD GPU driver ?

Sep 7, 2024
Hi everyone

Laptop model: Dell N4050

This laptop has switchable graphics, Intel HD 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6470M.

When I install the AMD driver I got bluescreen and I don't know why.
What happened to my laptop, is the Radeon GPU broken or not?

Switchable graphics from that era required specific drivers, installed in a specific order (always install the IGP drivers first) to work properly and often the only drivers that work are on the laptop manufacturer's support page for that model. The drivers for Win8-64 there are an Intel IGP driver from 2016, and AMD Radeon Catalyst driver from 2012. Those are the ones you would use, even in Windows 10.

If you have installed Windows 10 and are using the built-in Intel IGP drivers or ones supplied by WindowsUpdate, that may be a problem. If you have downloaded and are trying to install the latest AMD Crimson drivers for your card, well that's going to be a problem for sure. Sometimes you can update the AMD drivers to somewhat later ones after, but you always have to start by installing old known working ones. And be prepared to roll back drivers if the switchable graphics menu doesn't work right.

It was really not like today, when laptop GPUs are headless and all output is directed through the IGP.