Question Bluetooth adapter has to be reinstalled every time and randomly disconnects (Error 43)

Sep 26, 2022
I have a very weird problem. I use Bluetooth headphones (Sony WH-C510) and connect them to my desktop PC with a Bluetooth 5.1 adapter. However, almost every time I turn my PC on the Device Manager shows error 43 for the Bluetooth Adapter.
In addition to that my headphones sometimes randomly disconnect and then it shows the same error. Sometimes they disconnect and don't show the error, but are unable to reconnect until I reinstall the adapter or remove the headphones from my device via the Bluetooth settings and connect them again (this can work on the first try or my PC needs about 45 minutes to find my headphones again, during which I constantly have to switch USB ports and reinstall the Bluetooth adapter).

The adapter is an EDUP 5.1 adapter and it's the 3rd adapter with this problem, so I don't think that the adapter itself is the source of my problem.
The headphones aren't the problem either, they work without a problem when connected to my smartphone, so I suggest that my PC is my problem, but I have not a clue how to fix this.

Here's my system:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • 16GB GB DDR4-3200
  • ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1070
  • Windows 10, version 21H2 (Build 19044.2006)
I have this problem since at least March.
Did anyone here have a similar problem?

Would be fantastic if someone could help me!

Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
What were the previous two Bluetooth adapters? Make and model?

Are the Bluetooth adapters being directly plugged into a USB port on your PC. Which port(s)?

Try using a known working USB extension cable to move the Bluetooth adapter up and away from the PC case.

Do you see any other Bluetooth relater error codes, warnings, or informational events in Reliability History and/or Event Viewer?

Sep 26, 2022
What were the previous two Bluetooth adapters? Make and model?

Are the Bluetooth adapters being directly plugged into a USB port on your PC. Which port(s)?

Try using a known working USB extension cable to move the Bluetooth adapter up and away from the PC case.

Do you see any other Bluetooth relater error codes, warnings, or informational events in Reliability History and/or Event Viewer?

Previous adapters: TP-LINK UB500 Nano 5.0 & SEXMTE 5.1 Long Distance Bluetooth Dongle

Yes, the adapters are directly plugged into the PC and the USB port doesn't matter. Whenever it disconnects or I turn on my PC and it's an error 43, I reinstall the adapter and then I often have to switch USB port for it to connect to my headphones. Some times I also have to remove the headphones from BT and then connect them again, which also requires me to switch USB ports.

Aside from this all of my USB ports work.

I will try an extension cable and report back.

Reliability History only shows the following message whenever I reinstall my BT adapter's driver: "Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Bluetooth - 1.6.1015.3016 - Successful Windows Update

The Events Window of the Device Manager shows these lines:

Device deleted (probably when I delete the driver)
Device not migrated (when I pull the adapter out of the USB port and put it back into another USB port)
Device configured (bth.inf)
Device started (BTHUSB)

The last 3 lines are all at the same time.

Does any of this help?

Ralston18

Titan
Are you manually downloading, reinstalling the BT drivers, and directly configuring the drivers?

Versus using some third party tool or utility?

Try running Windows built in Troubleshooters. The Troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Do you have or have access to an independently powered USB hub? Especially if you have multiple USB devices plugged into your PC.

PSU: make, model, wattage, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Other USB devices?

Consider that, for whatever reasons, the PSU may no longer be capable of providing or meeting USB device power demands.

May need to narrow down the problem by elimination....

Sep 26, 2022
Are you manually downloading, reinstalling the BT drivers, and directly configuring the drivers?

Versus using some third party tool or utility?

Try running Windows built in Troubleshooters. The Troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Do you have or have access to an independently powered USB hub? Especially if you have multiple USB devices plugged into your PC.

PSU: make, model, wattage, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Other USB devices?

Consider that, for whatever reasons, the PSU may no longer be capable of providing or meeting USB device power demands.

May need to narrow down the problem by elimination....

I normally just remove the device while also deleting the driver and then just plug it out and in again and it installs itself. Installing the drivers from the website of the manufacturer has the exact same results (in fact, it wants me to restart the PC and then after restarting I get a code 43).

The BT troubleshooter found an issue with BT radio and apparently fixed it, but it still says "Bluetooth Radio driver error" and I cannot remove BT Radio, but that never had an influence on my headphones.

"sfc /scannow" said it found and repaired some corrupted stuff, but I have now idea how to read the log, it does not contain anything about BT, as far as I can tell.

DISM found nothing.

The only USB devices I have plugged into my PC aside from the adapter are my mouse (Logitech G502) and my keyboard (Varmilo Sea Melody VA109M) and none of them have any issues. I also never encountered any issues with any USB port when plugging in devices, aside from BT adapters.

My PSU is a be quiet! Straight Power E9 450W ATX 2.3 , which I purchased about 10 years ago. I purchased it new and it never caused any issues at all.

I have no access to an independently powered USB hub.

I hope this helps.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"My PSU is a be quiet! Straight Power E9 450W ATX 2.3 , which I purchased about 10 years ago. I purchased it new and it never caused any issues at all. "

Although the PSU has not presented any issues in the past, being 10 years old makes the PSU more than a bit suspect.

PSUs (as for many products) have a designed in EOL (End of Life). Very likely that the PSU is starting to falter and fail in some manner.

Remember that PSU's provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to varying system components. If there is a problem providing or maintaining any given voltage under load then the computer's performance will suffer.

Start with the following link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

The intent is not for you to immediately purchase a new PSU. The interim objective is get a sense of why the PSU is important and how critical the PSU is to the supported build.

You can easily find other similar links.

Do you have access to another known working PSU that could be swapped in for testing purposes?

Install the test PSU and determine if the problems end. You may need to reinstall the BT drivers and cleanup any files that were corrupted in the meantime.

Sep 26, 2022
This:

"My PSU is a be quiet! Straight Power E9 450W ATX 2.3 , which I purchased about 10 years ago. I purchased it new and it never caused any issues at all. "

Although the PSU has not presented any issues in the past, being 10 years old makes the PSU more than a bit suspect.

PSUs (as for many products) have a designed in EOL (End of Life). Very likely that the PSU is starting to falter and fail in some manner.

Remember that PSU's provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to varying system components. If there is a problem providing or maintaining any given voltage under load then the computer's performance will suffer.

Start with the following link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

The intent is not for you to immediately purchase a new PSU. The interim objective is get a sense of why the PSU is important and how critical the PSU is to the supported build.

You can easily find other similar links.

Do you have access to another known working PSU that could be swapped in for testing purposes?

Install the test PSU and determine if the problems end. You may need to reinstall the BT drivers and cleanup any files that were corrupted in the meantime.

I know that a new PSU wouldn't be a bad idea, but I think at first I will buy a new BT adapter and see if anything changes, because I don't have access to a test PSU.

But thank you for your help!

Currently my PC doesn't detect any BT connections at all, so I can't use my headphones with it since yesterday, which sucks.

Ralston18

Titan
Before buying another BT Adapter are you able to test the existing adapter and headphones on another known working computer?

[Noted that they worked on a smartphone. That is good. However, determine/verify that they also work or do not work on another computer.]

Sep 26, 2022
Before buying another BT Adapter are you able to test the existing adapter and headphones on another known working computer?

[Noted that they worked on a smartphone. That is good. However, determine/verify that they also work or do not work on another computer.]

Okay, so quick update. I bought another BT adapter and it's still the same problem. However, my PC now can't connect to my headphones at all (not even with the old adapter). The only other system I have is a laptop, but it has on-board BT. My headphones work completely fine with the laptop's BT, but when I plug in the BT adapter it shows driver errors (but probably, because 2 BT devices are running on the same system).

So yeah, it looks like my PC is the problem, but I don't know why.

Ralston18

Titan
May a deeper look.

Powershell as Admin.

Run the following cmdlet at the PS> prompt (no quotes):

Get-PnpDevice -class Bluetooth

(You should be able to copy and paste the preceding bold text.)

Reference:

https://community.idera.com/databas.../tips/posts/managing-bluetooth-devices-part-1

The results should be similar to the reference results and the result from my computer.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-PnpDevice -class Bluetooth

Status Class FriendlyName InstanceId
------ ----- ------------ ----------
OK Bluetooth Phonebook Access Pse Service BTHENUM\...
Unknown Bluetooth Generic Attribute Profile BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth Phone Input Device v2 BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth MY-iPhone Avrcp Transport BTHENUM\...
Unknown Bluetooth Generic Access Profile BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth Bluetooth LE Generic Attribute Service BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth Alta HR BTHLE\DE...
Unknown Bluetooth Device Information Service BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth Phone Call Audio Device BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Generic Attribute Profile BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth MY-iPhone BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Generic Access Profile BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth Device Information Service BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth iPhone BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Service Discovery Service BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth iPhone Avrcp Transport BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator BTH\MS_B...
OK Bluetooth Altec Over ear BT Avrcp Transport BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator BTH\MS_B...
Unknown Bluetooth Bluetooth LE Generic Attribute Service BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series BTHLE\DE...
OK Bluetooth Altec Over ear BT BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Personal Area Network NAP Service BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Qualcomm QCA9565 Bluetooth 4.0 USB\VID_...
OK Bluetooth LE-Bose Revolve SoundLink BTHLE\DE...
OK Bluetooth Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) BTH\MS_R...

[Do feel free to redact any personally revealing information as I did with "MY" replacing an actual -iphone name.]

You can run the same cmdlet on your laptop and compare the results. Look for missing Friendly Name or other differences.

Objective being to discover something missing, incorrect, or simply not expected.

Sep 26, 2022
May a deeper look.

Powershell as Admin.

Run the following cmdlet at the PS> prompt (no quotes):

Get-PnpDevice -class Bluetooth

(You should be able to copy and paste the preceding bold text.)

Reference:

https://community.idera.com/databas.../tips/posts/managing-bluetooth-devices-part-1

The results should be similar to the reference results and the result from my computer.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-PnpDevice -class Bluetooth

Unknown Bluetooth Generic Attribute Profile BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth Phone Input Device v2 BTHENUM\...
Unknown Bluetooth Generic Access Profile BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth Alta HR BTHLE\DE...
Unknown Bluetooth Device Information Service BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth Phone Call Audio Device BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth MY-iPhone BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Device Information Service BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth iPhone BTHENUM\...
Unknown Bluetooth Bluetooth LE Generic Attribute Service BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series BTHLE\DE...
OK Bluetooth Altec Over ear BT BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Qualcomm QCA9565 Bluetooth 4.0 USB\VID_...
OK Bluetooth LE-Bose Revolve SoundLink BTHLE\DE...

[Do feel free to redact any personally revealing information as I did with "MY" replacing an actual -iphone name.]

You can run the same cmdlet on your laptop and compare the results. Look for missing Friendly Name or other differences.

Objective being to discover something missing, incorrect, or simply not expected.

The list is quite short on my PC:

OK Bluetooth Realtek Bluetooth 5.1 Adapter USB\VID_...

The laptop has a few more (it's in German, though):

OK Bluetooth Microsoft Bluetooth LE-Enumerator BTH\MS_BTHLE...
OK Bluetooth WH-CH510 AVRCP-Transport BTHENUM\{000...
Unknown Bluetooth Microsoft Bluetooth LE-Enumerator BTH\MS_BTHLE...
OK Bluetooth Microsoft Bluetooth-Auflistung BTH\MS_BTHBR...
Error Bluetooth Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) BTH\MS_RFCOM...
Unknown Bluetooth Generic Bluetooth Adapter USB\VID_2550...
OK Bluetooth WH-CH510 BTHENUM\DEV_...
Unknown Bluetooth Microsoft Bluetooth-Auflistung BTH\MS_BTHBR...
OK Bluetooth WH-CH510 AVRCP-Transport BTHENUM\{000...
Unknown Bluetooth Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) BTH\MS_RFCOM...
OK Bluetooth Bluetooth USB Module USB\VID_04CA...

Does that help?

Ralston18

Titan
Yes: it does help.

Bluetooth headphones = "Sony WH-C510" - correct?

Note that on the laptop you see drivers with "WH-C510" and Status = OK. And the headphones do work via Bluetooth on the laptop - correct?

Those drivers do not appear in the short list on the PC where the headphones do not work - also correct?

The first though being that the correct drivers are not installed on the desktop - but the headphones do indeed work from time to time.

Error Code 43:

https://www.lifewire.com/43-errors-... 43 error is,some kind of unspecified problem.

First just read the link. Then try #4.

= = = =

This adapter?

EDUP adapter

I see "5.1" in the PC results but not in the laptop results. Is the adapter not being used with the laptop?

On the desktop PC try using a USB extension cable to raise the EDUP 5.1 adapter up and away from the case. Connect before booting.