Question Bluetooth dongle not working with Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asdfg13245

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
I have bought a bluetooth dongle to work with my Lenovo Explorer VR headset. It was meant to be plug-and-play but apparently my OS doesn't have default BT drivers. I have tried to install CSR Harmony 4.0 BT drivers, and I get the BT icon in the tray where I can add devices but it does not recognise my VR controllers. Also, upon entering BT settings through Windows, it states that my BT function is completely off and does not recognise the BT dongle either.

I have found a couple YT vids/forums using similar dongles (with 4.0 BT) with the same VR headset, and they are able to connect their VR controllers with no issues.

The dongle I have is TP-LINK UB400.

Any help is appreciated.

Asdfg13245

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Thank you for your reply.

I have uninstalled the CSR software prior to using the UB400 from the TP-LINK website, however the driver they suggest is CSR itself...

Anyway, I have tried to install it but I'm still having the same problems of bluetooth not always being detected.

Asdfg13245

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
I have tried it on my laptop with built-in bluetooth. I turned the built-in bluetooth off and inserted the dongle. It worked like a charm.

I have also done a clean format on my desktop.

The dongle just doesn't seem to work on my desktop...

Asdfg13245

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Hey, fellow Lenovo Explorer player :D Yeah, I am guessing it is to do with hardware, since the dongle works perfectly fine on my laptop. Thing is, my desktop was able to run bluetooth (with a different dongle) about a year ago, when I had Windows 7...

Sure, here are the full specs:
View: https://imgur.com/a/3NOtXZG

Intel Core i5 4690K
MSI Z97-G43
GTX 970 4GB
16GB RAM DDR3

I am running Windows 10 Pro.

If I have missed something, or you require any further info let me know.

Asdfg13245

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
So two things. In device manager, under Bluetooth Radios, the only device I have is called 'Radio CSR Bluetooth' - which is the CSR Harmony driver, TP-LINK suggested to install for the dongle.

In settings and devices, there is no option to turn BT on, since it doesn't recognise the dongle as a BT dongle.
The dongle is under 'Other Devices' and is called 'dongle'.

When I attempt to add a device via BT, it immediately says that there is no BT connection. Even though there is the usual BT tray icon I have, which is not able to find any BT devices .

Wolfshadw

Titan
So in settings, you don't have anything like this:

K666P64.jpg

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
To be honest, I'm out of ideas here. As you know, Windows 10 should have picked this up immediately and without issues or driver installations. At this point, my only recommendations would be either a clean install of Windows or trying another dongle.

-Wolf sends

Asdfg13245

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
I did do a clean install of Windows yesterday and it did not help. I have also tried another dongle I have used in the past. In that case, are you able to suggest anything else, or is my PC doomed?

Status
Not open for further replies.