Question Bluetooth feature has completely disappeared from Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

safesite

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
I have just encountered an issue with my Windows 10 machine (fully updated with latest updates, running Avast active protection, Malwarebytes -->passive<-- protection, firewalled).

My issue is similar to this post...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-manager/ccfa2f34-ac5e-4718-b499-e6050e511a41

...and means, that the Bluetooth feature of Windows 10 on my Acer Aspire VN7-571G has completely and entirely disappeared. It used to run just fine previously but at some point within the last 2-3 months must have been disabled/disappeared by - maybe - updates etc.

I have scoured the internet for clues as to what could cause this problem and have tried out the various solutions that I found, but in vain. Here is a short description of the issue.

1. I cannot find nor add the Bluetooth button in the Windows 10 Action Center as shown in this screenshot (below image copied from Google as reference and visual guide) which used to be displayed previously.

030e2012-7b8b-4a5b-9641-3fab941e9f4e

2. Neither is the Bluetooth button which used to be visible in the Windows Settings app displayed any longer (below image copied from Google as reference and visual guide).

243bda9a-d664-4d33-9c7e-41ad275f31ba

3. I found the following guide which describes various solutions to solve the issue at hand.

https://www.technipages.com/fix-bluetooth-toggle-missing-on-windows-10

Amongst others, I tried to manually start and stop and then set the Bluetooth Support Service in "Services" to start automatically when Windows is starting up which it was set to already before, but just to make sure, did it once again (below image copied from Google as reference and visual guide).

3ab3fefe-ddc5-4a19-9b3d-c0936bd1831e

Apart from that, I ran the "Run the Bluetooth Troubleshooter" advice, the "Run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter" advice and tried to update the drivers for my machine. I also ran the Windows update process on top of that. However, I didn't follow the "Uninstall All Things Bluetooth" or the "Reset BIOS/ UEFI" advice and neither the VM advice as I don't have any active VM installed on my machine. I also tried the last advice on the list called "Disable Fast Startup" but the option "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" - although enabled - was grayed out and non-selectable.

4. As mentioned earlier I own the Acer Aspire VN7-571G. The drivers and software can be downloaded from the following link:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5636?b=1

I tried downloading and installing the first two Bluetooth drivers from the drivers list which are as follows...

Bluetooth Driver

Date:

2015/07/21

Version:

Vendor:

Intel

Size:

6.1 MB

...and......

Bluetooth Driver

Date:

2015/07/21

Version:

Vendor:

Atheros

Size:

49.2 MB

...but this didn't resolve the issue either which persisted after a restart of Windows.

I am also adding a screenshot of my device manager and the Bluetooth settings...

8814e40b-f549-45e8-8298-3ee006368094

(Note --> this setting used to be visible before someone gave me bad advice on removing the Bluetooth feature in the device manager and as a consequence is now missing, too).

...as well as for the Network adapters...

03453d96-2725-4dc2-9de9-c0d8b14fde04

Could someone advise on how to proceed? Could this be related to some faulty Windows update(s) or maybe to Avast or some other application I am currently running?

By the way..., I am using a Bluetooth mouse which connects to the laptop via a physical USB Bluetooth adapter and that mouse works just fine - always did and still does. Just in case this could matter, considering the above.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

safesite

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
your device manager shows that you dont have bluetooth, bluetooth hardware is gone, died, doesnt exist anymore
you could replace wifi module, they have built in bluetooth, that should probably resolve it or use bluetooth dongle

Hi kerberos and thanks for your help and swift reply.

I read both of your posts and got two questions I would like to ask you in regards to those.

1) You mentioned, that you could tell from the screenshots of my device manager, that the Bluetooth hardware has died. That would be a tremendous bummer of sorts if correct.

I was wondering how exactly you are able to see that from those screenshots and where? Doesn't the presence of the Bluetooth device being listed as an actual device usually indicate, that it is functioning correctly and thus is accessible? Or did I miss something here?

this might be aftertought, but bleutooth runs through USB, might be worth reinstalling your USB host controllers (unistall through device manager, then scan for new hardware)

...and 2) when you mention that I should try uninstalling my USB Host Controllers which one's exactly do you mean in the list (I assume you are talking about the second screenshot of my device manager)? And which of the Acer drivers for my laptop, that I posted the link for in my initial post should I select for reinstall? I think to be able to remember that there are multiple USB drivers on that list (but might be wrong here).

I was wondering how exactly you are able to see that from those screenshots and where? Doesn't the presence of the Bluetooth device being listed as an actual device usually indicate, that it is functioning correctly and thus is accessible? Or did I miss something here?
bluetooth device in device manager is not there (under network adapters)
WY2pOm6.png

bluetooth on your picture is greyed out - disconnected with no bluetooth services running
pB6Dzv0.png

...and 2) when you mention that I should try uninstalling my USB Host Controllers which one's exactly do you mean in the list (I assume you are talking about the second screenshot of my device manager)
all usb host controllers, windows will load drivers on its own, you could install chipset drivers, sometimes they include usb drivers in there, but its optional
here looks mine, yours will be named differently, but they should have host controller in driver name
of59xl5.png

Reactions: safesite

safesite

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
WY2pOm6.png

bluetooth on your picture is greyed out - disconnected with no bluetooth services running
pB6Dzv0.png

all usb host controllers, windows will load drivers on its own, you could install chipset drivers, sometimes they include usb drivers in there, but its optional
here looks mine, yours will be named differently, but they should have host controller in driver name
of59xl5.png

Oh yes. Now I can see from the screenshots of your own device manager, what you meant. Got it. 🆒

In regards to the Chipset Driver(s), including USB Host Controllers, I think you are correct. I remember, having seen them on the list of drivers for my Acer (link in my initial post).

I could try that out, but am a bit afraid of "wrecking" more stuff and creating new issues on top.

So, I was thinking....

What do you think of the following solution before trying to uninstall the USB Host Controllers and reinstalling them hereafter?

You said that it could be a Bluetooth hardware issue and that Bluetooth might be completely dead. If that's the case, I thought we might be able to detect that faulty hardware with some of the following or similar applications...

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-test-your-pc-for-failing-hardware/

...or you might possibly know of some better suited applications of a similar type which are specifically designed for detecting and diagnosing Bluetooth hardware issues, that you could post here. I could then run these programs and see if my Bluetooth hardware was actually dead.

Also, I wanted to ask you if resetting Windows 10 to its original state ("out-of-the-box") might be able to fix this issue as I read about some Windows updates being able to mess up Bluetooth for no good reason.

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks again for helping out.

safesite

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
WY2pOm6.png

pB6Dzv0.png

of59xl5.png

Hi again @kerberos_20

I just wanted to inform you of the latest developments regarding the issue with the Bluetooth hardware on my laptop.

I can now confirm with 99% certainty that you were correct and that the Bluetooth hardware on my motherboard must have died within the last weeks/months.

Here is an updated screenshot of the Bluetooth settings in my device manager...

https://ibb.co/519RNHJ

...and here an updated screenshot for the the settings of the Network adapter...

https://ibb.co/VBG11xb

As you can see, it's all working again as intended and even the Bluetooth settings and buttons in Windows 10 and the Action Center are all back.

The reason for the above...? A couple of days ago, I bought a USB Bluetooth Adapter and was able to successfully connect my bluetooth-enabled Bose Earbuds, which I had previously tried to connect to my laptop in vain.

As can be seen from the above screenshots, I was finally able to make those earbuds and the Bluetooth settings work again.

So I just wanted to turn back here with the results and thank you for your time and help and your kind advice.

Thanks once again,..!

Wishing you a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.