Question Bluetooth Network Security options

Aug 9, 2022
I have a programmer/hacker neighbor who had been causing my network a lot of problems. It seems that some fine-tuning to the network settings and a sufficiently long/complex password have finally stopped that angle of his attacks, but recently setup Bluetooth cameras (I also use Bluetooth headphones) have created another access point and after setting up cameras last night, I woke up to my wifi password actually changed. I'm highly confident whatever cracking tools he has work also via the more vulnerable Bluetooth network entry and then he was somehow able to sneak into the router admin page that way. What options are there to maximize Bluetooth network security for my home to stop such cracking/hacking? Thanks...

Are you sure YOUR wifi password was changed or did he just setup a router with the same SSID as you and you were attempting to connect to his equipment.

You are almost getting paranoid. Lets say there is some flaw in the bluetooth to the camera. This generally would just allow say viewing the camera or maybe changing the settings. So you next assume after getting into the camera he can hack the router admin password. Then after hacking that he can change the password to the wifi in a remote ap that likely has a password of its own.

Way too many exploits that would have all happen together. Things like bluetooth do not just randomly associate with other devices. You must generally push button or give permissions. Cameras are very stupid device its not like they have the ability to run programs on them.

The main security for bluetooth is it has very limit range because of low transmit power.

Aug 9, 2022
I'm certain my router was on, the name was the same, it was the only option with full signal at the top of a long list as it always is(of all the neighbors). It's not paranoia, he has been messing with the wifi for months. I finally seemed to stop him cracking the password and gaining access, but he continued attacking the network one way or the other from the outside, knocking it offline or significantly slowing speed. Now, as soon as I had Bluetooth on for these cameras last night, I lost wifi connection and tried to log back in, and the "password/some information was recently changed" and I couldn't access. I had to reset the router completely which is obnoxious as I then have to reestablish connection with both cameras each time requiring climbing a ladder, not happening. Must stop him another way. I will turn off the Bluetooth completely and hope that he can't find his way in anymore with that adjustment. It's not uncommon for hackers to access people's network through Bluetooth, I'm no expert but there are articles saying so all over Google, no?

If you are having this level of issues there two steps for you to take.

First, buy a completely new router, connect nothing to it until you set up a new, never used for anything else password/credentials on this router.
Dont just change the wifi password either, change the admin password/login for the hardware itself.

Second, contact law enforcement.
If you are this certain of whats going on, its not something you should be dealing with yourself.
Unless of course you arent entirely certain. In which case the first option should be sufficient.