Bluetooth Not Running In Windows 7

TheSelverFang

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hey all,

I've got a problem in Windows 7 where Bluetooth doesn't seem to be working at all.
I'll get a few things out of the way up front:

• ■I have confirmed Bluetooth Device Monitor, Media Service, OBEX Service, and Support Service are all started and running automatically
    ■My motherboard is an ASUS P9X79, and I have installed the most recent Bluetooth drivers (Atheros Bluetooth Suite)
    ■I have tried downloading the UPNP Hotfix, and it told me my computer did not need the hotfix
    ■No Bluetooth anything is showing up in Device Manager, and the "Bluetooth Radios" section doesn't exist at all
    ■Bluetooth is not showing up in the list of troubleshooting options
    ■The Bluetooth icon is not in my icon bar, and there is no entry to hide it/unhide it/change options

I'm attempting to use an Insignia NS-PCY5BMA2 USB Bluetooth Adapter. To restate, my motherboard is an ASUS P9X79 and I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I've never ran anything Bluetooth on this computer, so I don't believe I have broken something.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!

Solution

I tried another port and Windows 7 still wouldn't automatically install the proper driver, it kept saying it didn't have the driver to install. I tried installing the BCM20702A0 driver (which Windows 7 said the adapter was missing) from Lenovo, and the installer wouldnt detect the adapter. I followed the solution here and got it working.

TheSelverFang

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

I believe I have LE. I assumed it had Bluetooth since it has drivers for Bluetooth listed on the page, and I've had this motherboard for a long time. I will have to double check with BIOS when I get the chance.

EDIT: It looks like Bluetooth is not listed on the LE page. Looks like I got the drivers from the DELUXE page. Seems I derped. Thanks for the help.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Please double check for me, i don't see Bluetooth listed for LE, https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/P9X79_LE/HelpDesk_Download/

Pro and Delux has the driver listed. Since the three versions is the same board with different features, may have downloaded the driver from the wrong one. An easy mistake.

Bluetooth usb adapters work just as well so no problem if the board is LE.

TheSelverFang

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Yeah it seems I had accidentally visited the DELUXE page instead.
I have noticed when plugging the bluetooth USB adapter it says it failed to install drivers for the USB device. I had assumed I needed to install Bluetooth drivers in order to get it to install properly. I did buy two adapters, so I will try the other one.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Installing Bluetooth driver for the appropriate board just enables the bluetooth receiver on Pro/Delux so not necessary for the LE.

From memory using Bluetooth adapters, Win7 was able to install its own driver once the usb adapter was detected for plug and play.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
May need to install Asmedia USB3 driver if you haven't yet, might be why USB was failing to install if was using USB3 port.

ASMedia® USB 3.0 controller :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® X79 chipset :
14 x USB 2.0 port(s) (8 at back panel, black, 6 at mid-board)

TheSelverFang

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

I tried another port and Windows 7 still wouldn't automatically install the proper driver, it kept saying it didn't have the driver to install. I tried installing the BCM20702A0 driver (which Windows 7 said the adapter was missing) from Lenovo, and the installer wouldnt detect the adapter. I followed the solution here and got it working.

Solution