Question Bluetooth randomly turns off

dragoiualex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hello,

I recently aquired a Keychron K8 Pro TKL keyboard. I don't know if this is relevant but i haven't had this issue before that. At random times, my bluetooth dongle disconnects. I have a BT 5.0 dongle for my desktop and I use a BT headset and the K8 for it. At times they disconnect and although the headset connects after some minutes, for the keyboard I need to restart pc or connect it via cable to troubleshoot connectivity, delete/re-add to BT devices, etc. Recently I discovered from device manager that the "Allow PC to turn off" was checked and I unchecked it but I'm still worried it's gonna disconnect again. Seeing as it's also disconnecting the headset i'd rather think it's from the dongle not to keyboard but i really don't know. I also have the option to flash K8 firmware but i'd rather not do that until as a last resort (as there are also A LOT of K8 TKL firmware on their website and I don't want to choose the wrong one).

Any advice on how I could troubleshoot this more in depth?

Thank you!

1st edit: Found this warning in Event Viewer -> "Bluetooth HID device either went out of range or became unresponsive."

Last edited:
Hello,

I recently aquired a Keychron K8 Pro TKL keyboard. I don't know if this is relevant but i haven't had this issue before that. At random times, my bluetooth dongle disconnects. I have a BT 5.0 dongle for my desktop and I use a BT headset and the K8 for it. At times they disconnect and although the headset connects after some minutes, for the keyboard I need to restart pc or connect it via cable to troubleshoot connectivity, delete/re-add to BT devices, etc. Recently I discovered from device manager that the "Allow PC to turn off" was checked and I unchecked it but I'm still worried it's gonna disconnect again. Seeing as it's also disconnecting the headset i'd rather think it's from the dongle not to keyboard but i really don't know. I also have the option to flash K8 firmware but i'd rather not do that until as a last resort (as there are also A LOT of K8 TKL firmware on their website and I don't want to choose the wrong one).

Any advice on how I could troubleshoot this more in depth?

Thank you!

1st edit: Found this warning in Event Viewer -> "Bluetooth HID device either went out of range or became unresponsive."
Which entry in Device Manager had the option for "Allow PC to turn on off this device."? The Bluetooth dongle, the headset, or the keyboard?

dragoiualex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Which entry in Device Manager had the option for "Allow PC to turn on off this device."? The Bluetooth dongle, the headset, or the keyboard?
The bluetooth dongle. After turning off Bluetooth and turning back on in settings, error message for Keychron was "Driver Error" and I had to restart to connect keyboard. So i'm guessing it's the Bluetooth? It's 5.0 and keyboard supports 5.1. But other than that I'm at a loss for words. Also, dongle is in the back of the case, in the front I have an XBox wifi connector for a gamepad. Is there a way to check if the signal is being disruptive in some way or other troubleshooting stuff?

Thank you!

The bluetooth dongle. After turning off Bluetooth and turning back on in settings, error message for Keychron was "Driver Error" and I had to restart to connect keyboard. So i'm guessing it's the Bluetooth? It's 5.0 and keyboard supports 5.1. But other than that I'm at a loss for words. Also, dongle is in the back of the case, in the front I have an XBox wifi connector for a gamepad. Is there a way to check if the signal is being disruptive in some way or other troubleshooting stuff?

Thank you!
The keyboard should back-step to 5.0 so I don't think that's the issue. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi typically don't interfere with each other because of their stack configurations. You could try disconnecting the Wi-Fi adapter temporarily and see if the issues continue but it's not likely the source.

Has the same thing happened since you disabled it from turning it off to save power?

If so, the fact that the headset disconnects at the same time makes me wonder if something is amiss with the dongle. Have you tried moving the dongle to a USB port? How long have you had the dongle? Does it require any drivers to function properly in Windows?

dragoiualex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
The keyboard should back-step to 5.0 so I don't think that's the issue. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi typically don't interfere with each other because of their stack configurations. You could try disconnecting the Wi-Fi adapter temporarily and see if the issues continue but it's not likely the source.

Has the same thing happened since you disabled it from turning it off to save power?

If so, the fact that the headset disconnects at the same time makes me wonder if something is amiss with the dongle. Have you tried moving the dongle to a USB port? How long have you had the dongle? Does it require any drivers to function properly in Windows?
Sorry for my delayed answer. The keyboard now just goes into sleep mode and then it reconnects or just disconnects and reconnects immediately (which I don't know what for). As for the BT dongle, it is an USB dongle, it doesn't require any drivers to function in W10. Will test more in the next couple of days as I haven't had the chance to use the pc very much so as to see if it disconnects. Will check in the next couple of days.

dragoiualex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018

Ok so it just happened ~30 min ago. The headset reconnected immediately but for the K8 i had to restart like 4 times and switched the bluetooth dongle back USB slot in order for it to connect so I guess it's the keyboard? I feel like i'm going to harm someone as it happens when I least expect it and every time it takes longer for it to connect. How can I see what's happening software-wise with this bluetooth connection?

Much appreciated,
A.

Unfortunately there really isn't a way to see it except for when it's trying to connect via Windows.

It almost sounds like the devices are fighting from who takes precedence on the USB dongle.

How old is the USB dongle?

dragoiualex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
You may have mentioned it previously and I simply forgot but do you have similar issues with the headphones that you are using via BT?
Hiya again,

The headset reconnects in a couple of minutes on its own, but the keyboard doesn't. I've also written to Keychron support and apparently it's not a "sleep" issue as it goes to sleep after 2h. But browsing on reddit it seems to be a BT connectivity issue with the Keyboard itself. The tricky and odd part is that "Allow the device" bla bla thingy always gets check-marked everytime I reconnect the keyboard so i'm at a loss. I don't even know if I should flash the firmware to get it to the latest version or smt, check to see if there have been any updated connectivity stuff.

dragoiualex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hello hello, sorry for the delay. It kinda worked for a while and now it's starting to bug out again and i'm almost certain I can't return it either (30+ day return passed) and i'm honestly wanting to just break it to pieces. i did firmware update and reset and everything and it's all up date and still nothing. Keychron support has the nerve to say that they haven't had these types of issues from customers and Reddit is full of it, i mean really what the actual eff...