Bluray drive not reading bluray discs

riccardan-humiliato

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
I have a bluray drive for my Windows 10 PC, LG CH12NS30, which I bought a couple years ago. It perfectly reads DVD and CDs, but when I attempted to playback bluray discs just now it's not playing them.

I've tried playing them using VLC media player, but whenever I try and play the disc VLC says "the input cannot be opened". This is really troubling. I could obviously play back the blurays using a PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4, but I just want it to work on my PC and it's just not doing that. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
That should work, but it will likely need some significant updating.

I would note that my Blu-Ray drive did come with Power DVD 9. I have had some update issues with it (note: I said update and not upgrade). It seems that whenever the powers that be need to update their encryption, they send out the update to the various blu-ray playing companies. When you insert a Blu-Ray disc and start up the software, the software phones home (so to speak) and verifies it has the latest codecs. If it doesn't, it will refuse to play the blu-ray movie (even if it worked before) until that update is completed.

In my case, with PowerDVD 9, the "Update" option was hidden behind the main window and the only option I could find, at first, was to upgrade...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Blu-Ray movie playback is not natively supported under Windows. Third party software is required. Check the boards again on VLC as, last I heard, with everything installed properly (it's more than just VLC), it could play Blu-Ray movies. Otherwise, you will need to purchase the software for it.

-Wolf sends

There are NO legal playback methods that are free. For commercial bluray playback you MUST buy software.

riccardan-humiliato

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Did some digging up and found the disc that came with the bluray player, which installs Cyberlink Media Suite, which apparently allows bluray playback. Thanks for all prior suggestions, but I think with this I'll get it working.

In other words... PowerDVD that I told you about.

Just watch out, if your bluray drive was manufacturered more than 18 mo ago you will not be able to view new bluray. cyberlink is run by <censored> that don't provide updates to their software after 6mo after their next yearly update comes out, so newer disks become unplayable without buying the new version.

<watch the language>

Wolfshadw

Titan
That should work, but it will likely need some significant updating.

I would note that my Blu-Ray drive did come with Power DVD 9. I have had some update issues with it (note: I said update and not upgrade). It seems that whenever the powers that be need to update their encryption, they send out the update to the various blu-ray playing companies. When you insert a Blu-Ray disc and start up the software, the software phones home (so to speak) and verifies it has the latest codecs. If it doesn't, it will refuse to play the blu-ray movie (even if it worked before) until that update is completed.

In my case, with PowerDVD 9, the "Update" option was hidden behind the main window and the only option I could find, at first, was to upgrade (at cost) to the latest PowerDVD version.

-Wolf sends

Solution

1) We already discussed how VLC is NOT capable of playing commercial disks without using illegal tools
2) Leawo might work (wasn't free for a while and even now people state it's actually only a 1 year trial), but it's fishy as hell with zero reputable reviews.