[SOLVED] Board missing M.2 mounting inserts. Fixable?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
This motherboard is missing the M.2 drive mounting inserts that the standoffs would screw into. See links below.
Is this fixable? I can find standoffs and screws, but not having any luck with those inserts themselves. The board simply has the three empty holes.
Front view
Back view

Solution
This motherboard is missing the M.2 drive mounting inserts that the standoffs would screw into.
Find M.2 anchor - bundled with the motherboard (PRIME H310M-A R2.0)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEbj-LOLhNU

s-l1600.jpg
Those inserts are press fit from the factory. Why yours are missing I have no clue but clearly somebody has removed them. I've looked and looked and can't find anything at all on them using a variety of terminologies and looking at the several boards I have here with M.2 slots I'm not especially hopeful that you could even safely press these yourself if you could find them. If you really need to use this board, I'd suggest to first maybe contact the board manufacturer and beyond that you may have to fabricate something out of a small piece of stock, tap it (Or find very small item with right threads) and possibly super glue it into the hole so you have someplace to thread the standoff into.

Might even be able to make something like a small expandable drywall anchor work with a little ingenuity.

Those are weird. I've never seen that type on any of the boards I've worked on. They've all been the press fit type that are simply rounded on the backside and do not have any type of clip in or expansion aspect to them. That's great though. I wonder if those are available on the general market since nothing comes up on any search but maybe requires knowing the specific nomenclature for them.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Those are weird. I've never seen that type on any of the boards I've worked on. They've all been the press fit type that are simply rounded on the backside and do not have any type of clip in or expansion aspect to them. That's great though. I wonder if those are available on the general market since nothing comes up on any search but maybe requires knowing the specific nomenclature for them.
After a bit of research myself, I've found them available at Walmart along with some more conventional standoffs. Further searching at the Asus page for the board shows the motherboard comes with empty holes from the factory! They are also available on ebay (all from over seas) Example
So the item I needed was apparently provided in the box with the board at purchase. Must not have been a well-received solution :giggle:

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Yeah, but those need something to screw into.

My error - apologies.

= = = =

Interesting that that anchor now comes with the motherboard or is otherwise available.

One question: how well or easily does the anchor allow m.2 removal? Does the anchor clamp down/lock in place like a zip tie?

I expect that you would just pull the ring to uninstall the m.2 - correct?

Will the anchor allow you to test before installing?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
My error - apologies.

= = = =

Interesting that that anchor now comes with the motherboard or is otherwise available.

One question: how well or easily does the anchor allow m.2 removal? Does the anchor clamp down/lock in place like a zip tie?

I expect that you would just pull the ring to uninstall the m.2 - correct?

Will the anchor allow you to test before installing?
No apologies needed.
I don't have it yet, but I assume you are correct. Neat idea, even if a bit unsightly. But it does allow for quick install and no losing that tiny little screw.

Some companies are now using a retainer that doesn't even use a screw. It just has a plastic clip attached to a standoff and it actually just flips over the end of the M.2 drive to retain it. No screw needed. But I don't know if they are available for use on boards that didn't come with them. I'm sure it's something we'll be seeing in the aftermarket as an alternative solution in the near future though.