Bones Etiquette?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

David Damerell wrote:

> Yes, this is a very tenuous case.

A less tenuous case would be loading a bones file
with "a couple of every kind of NetHack thing on the
level", something that would not happen by chance in
a normal game, just to check that the game could
reliably create all those objects into a bones file
and then load back what it creates.

The same idea could be used to check bones file
compatibility from release to release of NetHack.

Also, if you think you've fixed a "stack breaks with
over 32767 items" as passed in a bones file (or save
file) bug, wizard mode is a less painful way to
create such a stack than is pudding farming in a
normal game.

HTH

xanthian.

begin quoting Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca>:
>I consider it valid to 'E'ngrave your pack contents in the dust when you
>get hit by amnesia. When I see that 'E'ngraving, I use it as a note to see
>what the player was carring when he was killed.

I think that's fine (well, there's the usual amnesia/notes squabble, but
that's another issue); you aren't leaving the note _for_ people who find
the bones.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Friday, March.

Kent Paul Dolan wrote:

> David Damerell wrote:
>
>> Yes, this is a very tenuous case.
>
> A less tenuous case would be loading a bones file with "a couple of every
> kind of NetHack thing on the level", something that would not happen by
> chance in a normal game, just to check that the game could reliably
> create all those objects into a bones file and then load back what it
> creates.
>
> The same idea could be used to check bones file compatibility from
> release to release of NetHack.

You could do both of these by loading with another wizmode character,
however. I'm specifically wondering about instances where in order to
debug something, you'd need to load wizbones with a regular character.

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover

In article <yy7o1xao1h96.fsf@css.css.sfu.ca>,
Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
>Jacobs wrote:
>
>> There aren't any very real restrictions on wizmode anyway. Well, on
>> Debian apparently, but not otherwise. Anyone who I allowed to use my
>> computer could leave bones files from wizard mode if they chose.
>
>Sure, if you gave everyone the password for the wizard account, or if
>you're running Windows (this issue isn't present in the Windows version,
>AFAIK. I will refrain, however, from starting an anti-Windows diatribe
>here :) )

Ok, where do we start it?

:)

hawk, running for cover
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu 111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail