Boosting Internet Bandwidth

rrieder

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
I recently purchased a Liinksys Smart Wi-Fi router so I have a dual band router. As I understand it, once I get the Linksys connected to my ATT router, I need to disable my ATT router then turn on my Linksys router. This should give me better bandwidth within my house. But I can't find how to disable the ATT router. Hope I explained that right...can you help?

Solution

Powerline devices.
Cat5e from the router to the powerline device at the wall plug.
Powerline pumps the signal through the house wiring
A second powerline device converts that signal back out into a Cat5e signal. A PC or Xbox plugs into this. Or a switch and multiple devices. Some of them also pump out WiFi at that remote location.

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Everywhere-Powerline-Dual-Band-TPL-430APK/dp/B01FXDVIHC

I have no personal experience, but this type of thing.
AV1200 is the spec you should be looking for.

USAFRet

Titan

You can't assume that the Linksys will automagically give you better bandwidth between your systems and the router.

What specific AT&T router is it?
What bandwidth do you pay for?
What bandwidth do you get with a system wired directly to the router?
What bandwidth do you get WiFi to the router?
How many systems are connected to the AT&T router currently?

rrieder

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
All it says is ATT Uverse. I'm paying for 40mg. Depending on time of day, I get like 24-40mg. I haven't wired directly to the router. Right now we have 2 phones, 2 tablets, a laptop, a smartTV and an Amazon Fire.
I am thinking about adding some security cameras to the network and want to be able to cover the entire 22 Sq ft house with consistent bandwidth coverage if I can. I asked about the devices you plug into outlets but was told that will reduce my bandwidth and it was suggested to go with the Linksys.

USAFRet

Titan

If you're already getting "24-40mbps" from the existing, another router won't help much.
If you're paying for and seeing 40mbps, you won't get any more than that.
A new router does not give you more than the ISP gives you.

And adding in this Linksys may or may not give you a more stable connection, especially if it is in the same place as the current AT&T.
The main problem with WiFi is distance, and what is in between. Kitchen, garage, etc. It could be that your current router is just fine, but in a bad location.

The powerline devices are almost certainly better than more WiFi.
Far more stable.
A good combination might be powerline devices that also do WiFi.

So, from your existing router, powerline/WiFi devices. This gives you a wired connection at that remote location, plus another WiFi signal.

rrieder

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
What do you mean by powerline devices from the existing router. Do you have an example? Is that the original thought I had about using a Range Extender wall plug?

USAFRet

Titan

Powerline devices.
Cat5e from the router to the powerline device at the wall plug.
Powerline pumps the signal through the house wiring
A second powerline device converts that signal back out into a Cat5e signal. A PC or Xbox plugs into this. Or a switch and multiple devices. Some of them also pump out WiFi at that remote location.

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Everywhere-Powerline-Dual-Band-TPL-430APK/dp/B01FXDVIHC

I have no personal experience, but this type of thing.
AV1200 is the spec you should be looking for.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
More WiFi is a connection of last resort.

If:
- you can't run actual Cat5e
and if some devices at the remote location require WiFi (Kindle/tablet)
and if your house wiring sucks so bad that powerline is not an option
and if you don't have coax wired everywhere, and can't use MOCA devices (similar to powerline, but coax)
and if the current WiFi source is not poorly located (basement/garage)

Then maybe....more WiFi is needed.