[SOLVED] Boot Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
I'm using a 2011 15" 2.3Ghz MacBook Pro and have replaced the optical drive with 750GB hard disk. For some reason I seem to be unable to install Windows for BootCamp from either a USB SuperDrive or USB DVD-RAM drive. :(

Has anyone been able to install Windows from an external optical drive on a recent MacBook Pro?

Solution
Well, of course, it my well matter to the computer. The two drives use different interfaces and so require different drivers.

You may want to have a look at this article, where a possible solution to your problem is discussed.

halcyon

Splendid
I didn't know that current models only supported 7...but I was indeed trying to install 7...first 64-Bit Ultimate and when that didn't work I tried 32-Bit. They both fail during the boot process. I apologize for not noting that earlier. The installations fail at the point where the DVD should begin to be read. They spin up but then nothing happens and the cursor just sits there flashing.

However, I know the DVDs are good because I can use them to create Parallels VMs and on other machines. ...so it seems like the BootCamp installs simply won't work from an external DVD drive.

halcyon

Splendid

Nice! I'm going to give this a shot this evening. It sounds like I am in a similar boat as the author but hopefully rEFIt will work for me.

halcyon

Splendid

Hmmm.... As ijack notes, the computer does seem to care about the interface its using the DVD from. ...and it makes sense in an Apple-way-of-doing-things-sort-of-way...they may not have designed their firmware on the MBP's to deal with external USB optical drives at the boot level, at least not for BootCamp anyways (I've not tried to install OS X using an external drive yet). ...just a guess, I obviously don't know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.