Question "Boot Device Not Found" (comes and goes)

Mar 21, 2021
I recently picked up a used HP Omen (15-en0013dx) laptop. It had a 256GB m.2 NVMe installed (2nd M.2 tray was empty). I went ahead and purchased a brand new 1TB NVMe drive and replaced the 256GB with it. I then proceeded to install Windows 11. Every single time I reboot the laptop after is has done an update, it goes to that "No Boot Device Found" screen(even HP Diagnostics/BIOS does not see the drive). Yet, if I hit "CNTRL+ALT+DEL" and let it reboot, it boots just fine into Windows. I tested the drive and the drive tests good. I even downloaded that "HP Diagnostics Utility" and let it do a full system hardware scan(all tests passed). For the hell of it, I cleaned the NVMe slot w/ some BW-100 and re-installed the SSD. I then re-installed Windows again. Still... the same thing keeps happening. I also went into BIOS and made sure the boot order was set correctly.

Is this some sort of BIOS setting I do not have set correctly? Anything else I can try? Again, it's a brand new SSD and tested fine. Fresh install of Windows as well.

Mar 21, 2021
Correct. Only 1 install of Windows 11. I also tried disconnecting the battery, waiting for about a minute, re-connecting it and it still remembers my settings(so the CMOS is working fine).

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't know what the bios on a HP laptop looks like, do you have the choice to change boot method? It might be it defaults to the opposite of what drive is, and a restart swaps the method - My old Asus motherboard used to do that if it didn't find a boot drive.
choices might be Legacy or UEFI or auto (this is one that can swap on a restart)

I hate how laptop manuals don't tell you anything about the BIOS apart from how to work out its version and how to update it - http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06638241.pdf

Mar 21, 2021
i don't know what the bios on a HP laptop looks like, do you have the choice to change boot method? It might be it defaults to the opposite of what drive is, and a restart swaps the method - My old Asus motherboard used to do that if it didn't find a boot drive.
choices might be Legacy or UEFI or auto (this is one that can swap on a restart)

I hate how laptop manuals don't tell you anything about the BIOS apart from how to work out its version and how to update it - http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06638241.pdf

There is no option in BIOS to toggle between Legacy/UEFI. There is an option for Secure boot(toggle on/off) as well as TPM (automatic/disabled). Regardless of what either of those are set to, the issue persists. I also tried moving the SSD over to the other M.2 slot instead... but that did not help either. I finally tried telling BIOS to revert back to factory defaults... but no luck either.

Mar 21, 2021
When it does display the "Boot Device Not Found" error, it says this on the screen:

Boot Device Not Found
Please install an operating system on your hard disk.
Hard Disk - (3F0)

System Diagnostics (F2)

At this point, if I press "F2" and go into "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics", there is an option to run a Hard Drive test. If I tell it to run the test, it presents me with the options to do a "quick" or "extensive" test. Either option goes to a screen that says "No hard drive installed."

But again... if I reboot the system again, it loads into Windows normally. I can even go back into BIOS, run the above tests and both "quick" and "extensive" will both pass.

The hard drive that was in the system when I picked it up is a "Patriot P300P256GM28"(256GB). I did test that drive and it tested good. I replaced it with a brand new WD Blue SN570(1TB) that I picked up from Best Buy yesterday. The new WD drive also passed both the quick and extensive tests.

Some of those have optane memory... But they need to have Intel CPU - nope, its got an AMD CPU - https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06657658

Does it show an error? apart from the one you gave? codes in brackets?
Scratches head?

watches tear down of another similar model, doesn't see any other drives.

wonders if maybe the drive itself is faulty.

What make/model drive is it?

Mar 21, 2021
Try turning off fast boot in bios.
There might be a delay before M.2 drive is fully detected.

Under 'Boot Options', there is just "USB Boot", "Network Boot" and "Secure Boot". No option anywhere to toggle Fast Boot on/off.
There is an option for "POST HotKey Delay (sec)". It was set to 0. It has the options to set it to 0, 5, 10, 15, 20. I've tried switching between each one. Regardless, the issue persists.

Mar 21, 2021
UPDATE: I have found that it only goes to the "Boot Device Not Found" screen during a reboot. Although if I shut down the laptop, it always boots right back into Windows the next time I power it on.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sounds like it has fast startup turned on then. if it does, the only time PC is actually off is a restart. On a normal boot with fast startup on, the pc doesn't really shutdown and is just waking from hibernation instead of loading all the devices new.
So PC doesn't mind waking drive up, it just doesn't like it if it has to to turn it all off fully and start again.
just check if its on - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html (don't turn it off unless you want the error every start).

So its not really a driver problem, more a fresh start problem. and its the Drive each time.

I have seen it before where it boots fine until you restart.
i already suggested CMOS. Maybe its a power fault on mb.

curious, is Secure boot on?

can you right click start
choose disk management
expand the next window to show details of top and bottom area
take a screenshot and upload to an image sharing website and show link

Wonder if it starts up in wrong boot method and restart is all it needs to swap to right one and find drive again.

Mar 21, 2021
As mentioned earlier, it has the "delayed start" options for 0 seconds, 5, 10, 15, 20... I've tried each of them and the issue persists. I did also try turning Secore boot off/on(no change). I was thinking it's a problem with the motherboard also and looked into it(about $300 for a used replacement). I do not even use this laptop. Was just thinking about giving it to a family member to use. I'll probably just do that and tell them about the rebooting issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
How does it go just running windows updates?
there is a restart involved in them

Just wonder how it will go on the next version update of windows, more restarts involved there.

is it on Win 11 22H2 now as there won't be a new one again for a year.

As mentioned earlier, it has the "delayed start" options for 0 seconds, 5, 10, 15, 20... I've tried each of them and the issue persists. I did also try turning Secore boot off/on(no change).
fast startup is in windows, not BIOS. There are 2 similarly named functions but the one in windows isn't the same as the bios one.

Mar 21, 2021
Hello again,

Just thought I'd say that I did find the 'fast startup' option in Power settings and tried toggling that. I also updated to the latest Windows 11 update. It still does the same thing whenever you reboot(even if you reboot to do updates).

Colif

Win 11 Master
it looks like a fault in the motherboard itself then

Its going to a problem every 2nd Tuesday of the month as well as that is update day. PC will restart and not find its way.

How does it react on the next start? just keep running update? I can see it corrupting windows at some stage.

its not windows causing the problem, its the laptop. Windows has no control over the laptop finding the right drive each start.

Jan 13, 2023
I have (had) EXACTLY the same problem with an HP OMEN 15. Would get the boot device not found error intermittently, reboot and all would be fine ... Or so I thought. Yesterday I got the error, rebooted, and nothing... Same error over and over, won't boot at all now.

Used Hiren to have a look around and the boot SSD isn't there (physically nothing has changed). It doesn't show in the BIOS, and HP system diagnostics tells me not hard drive is installed.

Managed to update the bios via Hiren and HP website. Didn't help.

I think this problem only started from when I updated to Windows 11 but to be honest I can't be certain about that.

I've done everything in the BIOS that the previous poster mentioned.

I'm gutted. It's 2 years old and otherwise ran really well.

Any suggestions?