Boot Device Not Found

PettyMower

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
Hi everyone,

Computer: Windows 10 HP15 Laptop

My plan was to clone the original hard drive to a solid state drive.

Since I have Norton Ghost installed on another PC, I decided to remove the laptop hard drive, connect it to the PC using an adapter. My PC's "My Computer" could not see the hard drive. So, I checked in Disk Managament and it was seen there and listed as "unallocated".

Afraid of messing something up, I stopped and put the hard drive back in the laptop (where it came from) and run Ghost from the CD and clone it there.

But after putting the hard drive back in place I receive a black screen with the following message:

Boot Device Not Found
Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Any ideas what I've done, and how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Jay

Solution
Thank you to everyone that helped in figuring this out.

Here's what worked:

Downloaded Windows 10 to a DVD
In BIOS, Enabled Legacy, Move Legacy DVD rom to top
Boot with DVD
Run "Start Up Repair"

Thanks again,
Jay

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look at this link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/268901/why-your-new-hard-drive-isnt-showing-up-in-windows-and-how-to-fix-it/

Think back very carefully about what you may have done while in Disk Management....

Then double check the drive reinstall back into the laptop. Make sure the drive is correctly and firmly in place - all properly connected.

If the drive does not boot can you get into BIOS on the laptop usually by pressing F2 or F10? (It could be some other key so you may need to consult the HP laptop's manual.)

PettyMower

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016

PettyMower

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
Hello Ralston18,

Thank you for the quick reply. I clicked the link, and it reminded me more of what took place, while the hard drive was connected to the PC.

I went as far as the "Initialize Disk" screen, and selected the default "MBR" as I thought it was automatically selecting it. Clicked OK, and maybe saw the "New Simple Volume". It was somewhere in there that I backed out. I had assumed at that point that no changes had actually taken place on the hard drive.

To confirm the connection is good, I've disconnected and re-connected with the same results.

Yes, I can access the BIOS settings. (I have also restored the default BIOS settings.

Thanks for your assistance,
Jay

Hi there PettyMower,

Well, unfortunately, initialization could be data destructive.
At that point, you can try to recover the data that you need, perform a clean OS installation on your SSD, put all the data that you need on your SSD. You will need to reinstall all your apps.

So, you can attach the drive to a working machine as a secondary drive and run some partition/data recovery tool. It may be a good idea to save all the recovered data on another location, so you don't overwrite any of the data.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

PettyMower

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
Sorry about that, I've since found that the OS Manager is the Hard drive.

Back when I had the HD plugged into my PC with the USB adapter, what would have happened if I had continued through the "Initialize Disk" process? My guess is that it would have formatted the HD.

PettyMower

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
Thank you to everyone that helped in figuring this out.

Here's what worked:

Downloaded Windows 10 to a DVD
In BIOS, Enabled Legacy, Move Legacy DVD rom to top
Boot with DVD
Run "Start Up Repair"

Thanks again,
Jay

Solution

Latest posts