[SOLVED] Boot Drive and Storage Drives from old PC to new PC

tonypizzle

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2012
Hi all,

Just looking for a simple answer. So, I have a computer that I built a few years ago. I have a SSD boot drive with Windows 10, a hybrid 1 TB, and a NVME 500gb. I am building a new PC and want to move those over. I have no issue with putting a fresh install on the boot drive with my new build but what do I do with the other drives. I will note that the other drives have programs installed on them. Do I need to wipe them? Can I just plug and play after I do the fresh install? Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
Sorry, no simple answer.

Yes, you can use an old drive for a windows clean install.
Have ONLY that single drive attached.
You can erase and format the former contents to do the clean install.
That will result in a clean and empty registry.

You can then attach the old drives.
Data folders will be fine.
But, programs that were originally installed will not run if they required registry entries. That is likely all of them. There is a procedure for steam games to handle this, I do not know them.

If you want, you can try booting your new build using your old C drive. There is a decent chance that it will boot. If it boots, install the motherboard drivers for your new motherboard and you are done.
I would try this, nothing lost if...
Sorry, no simple answer.

Yes, you can use an old drive for a windows clean install.
Have ONLY that single drive attached.
You can erase and format the former contents to do the clean install.
That will result in a clean and empty registry.

You can then attach the old drives.
Data folders will be fine.
But, programs that were originally installed will not run if they required registry entries. That is likely all of them. There is a procedure for steam games to handle this, I do not know them.

If you want, you can try booting your new build using your old C drive. There is a decent chance that it will boot. If it boots, install the motherboard drivers for your new motherboard and you are done.
I would try this, nothing lost if it fails.
If you might have been having windows issues before, a clean install would be better

Last edited:
Solution

JuniperSprouts

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Whichever you wish to be your boot drive, physically insert ONLY that one in the new computer. Install your operating system & upgrade it. Power down system. Insert other drives. Boot into OS. Look at your other drives. Do with them what you want ...inspect contents, delete programs, wipe, etc...

USAFRet

Titan
Hi all,

Just looking for a simple answer. So, I have a computer that I built a few years ago. I have a SSD boot drive with Windows 10, a hybrid 1 TB, and a NVME 500gb. I am building a new PC and want to move those over. I have no issue with putting a fresh install on the boot drive with my new build but what do I do with the other drives. I will note that the other drives have programs installed on them. Do I need to wipe them? Can I just plug and play after I do the fresh install? Any help would be appreciated!
New PC == new OS install
New OS install == reinstall of all applications.