Question Boot drive error - "Reboot and select proper boot device"

g-unit1111

Titan
I've had this happen a couple of times on my PC now. I'll leave it alone for a long time and when I come back to it I will get a black screen and an error message that says "Reboot and select proper boot device". My boot drive is a 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4th gen drive attached to a Gigabyte X570 motherboard with a Ryzen 9 3900X. So do I need to RMA my boot drive? Or are there other preventative measures that I can take to make sure that doesn't happen again? When I reboot it works fine but I don't want this to happen again.

g-unit1111

Titan
This could mean that the cmos battery can't hold its charge anymore and looses the bios settings, it's pretty unlikely on such a relatively new build but you never know.
Unless you mean you leave it working or at least turned on and it turns off on its own.

This motherboard is less than a year old. I can't imagine it would be the CMOS battery. I also just updated the BIOS from version F21 to F33c if that helps.

I'm going to e-mail Gigabyte and Sabrent about this issue and see what they say.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021
I have been having a similar issue, but my system is 6 years old so it might be something totally different. My system has been very dependable up to last week when the boot error message has started appearing after the computer crashes after leaving the computer playing streaming music for a few hours(2.5). It doesn't seem to be tied to a specific event. I have swapped out the ram and graphics card and unplugged everything run check disk on the ssd, but the issue seems to persist. When it first began I kept getting the boot error message and windows would not boot at all, but now it will reboot after the crash and reboot error message if I power my system down completely and reset. It seems after I pulled a stick of RAM and replaced it reset something with the error and allowed be to restart the system and get back to windows but only for 2.5 hours max.

I have a MSI z97 pc motherboard, evga geforce gtx 970, crucial dual 8mb for total 16 gb ram and a 500 gb intel ssd drive. any thoughts or help would be appreciated. I am down to thinking it is something with the motherboard since it is the only thing I have not swapped out or the ssd.

Mar 8, 2021
Sorry forgot to mention on my earlier post I have undated the BIOS, Windows, All known drivers to the most current versions. So fairly confident that is not the issue either.