Question Boot error

Dec 7, 2021
Hi i am hoping you can help with my current issue? It started two weeks ago when my sons PC blue screened. I started with trying a windows repair which stated it could not repair the drive and bootfix in command prompt did not work either. I ended up reloading windows and everthing was fine until the system was restarted and it blue screened again. Looking in the Bios the boot drive was not shown and in storage configeration sata1 was greyed out as empty. After checking the staus of drive C in comand prompt and gettting a message that a valid path could not be found i assumed the drive was damaged. I then tried three seperate sata cables in case it was a bad cable and after still getting the same error i decided it was probably a damaged drive and bought a new SSD and installed windows. Everything worked fine until a windows update did a restart when it blue screened again. This time the drive was not found in the boot options or boot storage configeration, but after three blue screens (going into the Bios on each occasion) the drive was visible in storage configeration but not the selected drive to boot from. I could not select it as a boot drive from the BIOS boot menu but i was able to select the drive in boot priority and the sytem booted up fine. As expected after two restarts the blue screen returned. I then moved the drive to boot from Sata port 2, the drive was detected and booted. And so the loop continues. The Bios will not select the drive with windows on as a boot drive. I checked the original drive that blue screened via a USB to sata convertor, scanned the disk (no errors found) and all of the information was present. I have also had some restarts with other internal hard drives have not been recognised then re appear an a different start up.
CMS is enabled. Although there is no M.2 drive fitted, it is enabled in the Bios. Not sure if this would cause a boot issue..
I really have tried everything i can think of and gone through most of the simular issues listed in the forums with no sucess. There are three internal drives (2x SSD 1x hhd) and all operate correctly when the system boots. There are no instability issues or any other issues one the system loads. Interestingly the system seems to boot most of the time from sleep mode but not from a full restart (if that information helps anyone)
Any help you can offer is really appreciated hoping this is an easy fix for someone with more expieirence and not a motherboad issue.
Motherboard:Asus Prime Z370 P-11
Windows 10 Home
CPU i5 8400
GPU GTX 1060

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your son's PC like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Can you elaborate on how you reloaded Windows? You should ideally be in UEFI mode, meaning disable CSM in BIOS...since you're on Windows 10. Speaking of Windows 10, can you state where you sourced the installer for your OS? BIOS version for your motherboard? Age of the PSU in your son's build?

Dec 7, 2021
Thank you for the quick response. Windows was reloaded via USB stick using the windows download tool.
I have not changed any settings that were configured in the bios on purchase and it has been working fine until this issue occured. The bios is set to legacy and UEFI under CSM.
I had a PC upgrade in 2018 and my son wanted a gaming computer (for his school work of course) and asked if he could by a PC with 3 years of paper round money. To lower the cost i used my existing case, power pack, fans and hard drives and with his money we purchased a bundle (motherboard, CPU, memory, and fan ) put together and tested and purchased the GPU individually. I swapped out the old parts for the new into the chassis of the old machine and its been running smoothly for 3 years.

CPU I5 8400
Motherboard Asus Z370-P II
Ram Corsair 2x 8gb
GPU Geforce GTX 1060 6gb
PSU Corsair ultra low noise 600w
Chassis Cool Master 690 11 lite dominator
OS Windows 10 home
Monitor Acer 27 inch

Bios version 0411