[SOLVED] Boot from M.2 SSD via PCIE Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

throll

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
Hello, I have Asus P9X79 Pro MB and bought an M.2 NVMe SSD, I had to get M.2 PCEI adapter too. After cloning my curred SSD I can't find how to boot from the M.2 SSD, it does not show up in the list in BIOS? Any idea please?

Solution
i never upgraded bios.. i thought this was a straight forward process, i will dig in. Thanks
It is VERY possible that motherboard does not speak "M.2 as boot drive."

As the newest BIOS is 2014, and none of the descriptions speak of booting from an M.2 drive, it is quite likely that this cannot be done.

Solution, if you can't get it to boot from that...get a regular SATA III SSD for the OS.
Use this drive as a secondary.
That combination WILL work, and you'll never notice any difference.

USAFRet

Titan
i never upgraded bios.. i thought this was a straight forward process, i will dig in. Thanks
It is VERY possible that motherboard does not speak "M.2 as boot drive."

As the newest BIOS is 2014, and none of the descriptions speak of booting from an M.2 drive, it is quite likely that this cannot be done.

Solution, if you can't get it to boot from that...get a regular SATA III SSD for the OS.
Use this drive as a secondary.
That combination WILL work, and you'll never notice any difference.

Solution

throll

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2013
I thought i was clever.., I already have another 1TB HDD were i put most of my stuff. I still don't know why my C is constantly full even though i keep deleting. Biggest mistake is i installed VS and its components in C:\ bu far biggest in size in there, the rest are small stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.