[SOLVED] Boot from NVMe Drive X570 Plus Wifi R7 3700x

Jul 30, 2020
Just swapped my motherboard and CPU and got a new nvme drive which I have already installed and am running windows from currently.

I am trying to wipe my old ssd so I can use it for games but I am unable to do so with diskpart ran as admin. I get an error saying it cant clean the drive running windows.

when I boot my pc I have to choose which disk I want to boot from I just want to wipe the ssd so I don't have to choose a drive on start up.

I tried changing the boot drive in the bios but only see the ssd as a option for boot device. I usually don't mess with the bios because I don't know enough to feel confident I'm not going to screw something up.

Do I need to change something in the bios for the nvme to be the main boot drive?

Solution
This is almost certainly because you installed the new OS on the new drive, while you had the OLD drive still connected.

The easiest solution is to redo the install on the NVMe drive.
With ONLY the NVMe drive connected.

Then, you can wipe the old drive as desired.

USAFRet

Titan
This is almost certainly because you installed the new OS on the new drive, while you had the OLD drive still connected.

The easiest solution is to redo the install on the NVMe drive.
With ONLY the NVMe drive connected.

Then, you can wipe the old drive as desired.

Solution
Jul 30, 2020
Yeah I'm not sure what is going on. I don't really want to do an new install since I spent all day reinstalling programs. I made sure not to connect the old drives until I had a fresh install on the new drive. Should I just get a third party disk tool?

Jul 30, 2020
I tried to adjust the boot order but the nvme is not an option. Is there something I can change in the bios before selecting the boot drive?

Jul 30, 2020
May have solved it. When I installed I partitioned the whole drive for windows which didn't leave room for the other partitions which were being pulled from the other drive I was trying to wipe. Currently reinstalling windows. I'll update if this was the issue.