damienleyden04

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm curreny having issues booting my system, which I'm hoping is just psu related. Basically, when I turn the computer on, everything lights up for a second or 2, fans spin then it turns off. It will turn on again and just repeat the above.

If I take a stick of ram out it boots fine, straight to Windows. Once loaded, I turn the pc off, pop that stick back in and it continues to boot fine. I have tested all ram sticks in each DIMM slot and each stick in all slots boots fine.

After all this, if I leave the pc off overnight, and go to use it again the next day, the problem is back.

Things I done:
Removed 2 other HDDs (left in boot SSD).
Unplugged PSU, held power button for 20 seconds, plugged psu back in to drain capacitors.
Removed Cmos battery (also replaced battery).
Reset BIOS, installed last and latest update to bios.
Checked mobo capacitor which all look fine.

If I make any hardware change or power change on the boot loop it starts fine. A few hours later after being off, the issue starts again.

Next step is to get a new PSU, hoping what I've said above is PSU related, as I can get it to boot eventually.

I would love to upgrade everything as they are getting on now, but I just don't have the $$ at the moment.

I haven't tried checking cpu pins yet as once it is able to boot it's fine.

I just want to see if anyone might have any other ideas on what the issue could be.

Specs:
MSI xPower z97 ac mobo
I7-4770 3.4GHZ
Antec A30 cooler
16gb ddr3 (1 x 8gb and 2 x 4gb)
MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
Corsair TX650 psu
Running Win 10 x64

I do understand that the mobo and cpu are getting on a bit, but hoping I can keep using this while I save for a new build.

Thanks guys 😁

Last edited:
If I take a stick of ram out it boots fine, straight to Windows. Once loaded, I turn the pc off, pop that stick back in and it continues to boot fine.
16gb ddr3 (1 x 8gb and 2 x 4gb)
When you mixed these RAM, you may get the problem like that. Try to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS. Or tweak the RAM, like the timing, etc.
Here is the info:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p1

damienleyden04

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
When you mixed these RAM, you may get the problem like that. Try to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS. Or tweak the RAM, like the timing, etc.
Here is the info:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p1
I thought it could have been the ram, these are the sticks that came with the pc and up until a few days ago the rig was working perfectly. I'll have a look and see if I can get the xmp profile enabled. My other thought was to replace the ram with 2 x 8gb sticks.

damienleyden04

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
That is the right way to do, if you can, but try to enable the XMP profile first, if these RAM have different speed or timing, you need to tweak them. If you can solve the problem, you can save the money.
Thank you for your help Cin. I'll have a good look when I get home this afternoon and have a play around with ram settings