Boot issues blank screen

Tom_T1993

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
Hi There,

I've recently encountered an issue with my system and without taking drastic action, i'm unable to isolate the cause, nor am i able to cause the issue deliberately, it's completely random.

My system:

MSI Z270 GAMING M7 Motherboard
Intel I7 7700k (OCed to 4.5ghz)
32gb Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz
MSI GTX1080 Gaming X
Samsung 960 EVO 1tb M2 SSD
EVGA Gold Rated 850w Supernova PSU
Running Windows 10 64BIT

Okay, to explain this issue briefly upon booting the system, it will POST and display the MSI Splash logo, before booting to windows at which point i will get a blank screen, the system does not crash, the LED showing the CPU temp fluctuates, but sits at the normal sort of temperatures i'd expect during boot and the system idling.

A button restart will sometimes work, sometimes a hard power off by holding the button is required, but i'm associating that with how long i let the machine sit in this state. For example a natural boot is roughly 10 seconds, so if i leave it 30, the restart button works, if i leave it for 60, i'm forced to power button reboot.

The system will boot fine after this glitch, sometimes prompting a diskcheck (not always, only sometimes)

This happens maybe 1 in every 50 boots, and never happens when the machine is restarted, only upon a normal switch on process.

In one instance, i got a boot where windows loaded up, but to a black screen and cursor which i jumped into task manager through ctrl, shift, esc and started explorer manually, this cured the issue but i haven't been able to do this any other time it's happened.

My disk or my operating system seem the most viable culprits, but benchmarking my disk seems to produce normal results, floating around the spec samsung specify. It's behaviour is normal, and it's connection to the motherboard has been double checked, and is fine. But the error persists.

Windows behaves normally, i've seen no issues outside of this problem, the machine has never crashed or bluescreened since it was built. It's roughly 7 months old, the issue only started around the same time i got creators update, which was about may if memory serves correctly.

Drivers are installed for all connected peripherals, including the disk, the GPU ETC.

BIOS is flashed to version 1.3 which specifically remarks better compatibility with the 960 series of disks.

My startup folder contains: Steam, MSI Gaming App (I hate it, but it's the only LED controller MSI have), MSI Afterburner and Malwarebytes tray application all of which are up to date.

I'm about lost as to what to try next other than reinstalling windows, but it's quite drastic and was wondering if any other users of this motherboard or disk, can relate to this issue and provide insight on a potential cause.

Thanks for reading and if you've got any advice or require any further information just let us know.

Thanks, Tom

Solution
After a bit of searching, i cured this myself. Although it was at a price.

To fix this i turned off the "Fast Startup" Setting in Windows.

Found by going power>change what the power buttons do>Change settings that are currently unavailable

About 30 boots later the system has not repeated this issue, i will consider it fixed for the time being.

Tom_T1993

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
After a bit of searching, i cured this myself. Although it was at a price.

To fix this i turned off the "Fast Startup" Setting in Windows.

Found by going power>change what the power buttons do>Change settings that are currently unavailable

About 30 boots later the system has not repeated this issue, i will consider it fixed for the time being.

Solution