Question Boot issues with Dell laptop ?

Oct 5, 2024
Laptop: Dell 9500
CPU: i7-10750H
GPU: 1650 Ti

The laptop has a dual boot setup with Windows 10 and Debian (on separate SSD's set to AHCI with secure boot running), it doesn't boot even into the BIOS and will only show the Dell logo then power off.
The problem does fix itself with no real rhyme or reason, but it takes time and is unpredictable.

I have this issue every couple of days when I open my laptop, the laptop won't turn on. It will light up the keyboard, show the dell logo for a little bit, then power down, and the keyboard will power back on, but the screen won't do anything, if it's on power it will retry booting and loop unit it decides to fix itself even with it closed. This has occurred after the Windows 10 installation blue screens after locking up, which may be due to a windows sleep issue, I'm not entirely sure, there is a chance it may be GPU related as well.

The errors have been "driver power state failure", "faulty hardware corrupted page", "video dxgkrnl fatal error", "video scheduler internal error" (now that I'm collating this I'm starting to think it's the GPU). Most of these blue screen errors predate the boot issue, and it was the power state failure for the one I can remember. I have also tried to download the NVIDIA driver on Linux, but it fails on boot and I haven't looked into fixing it yet, just another thing that may point to the GPU.

Times it has fixed itself:
1) it happened the first time in a lecture I messed with it for about an hour threw my laptop into my bag walked for about 5 minutes and opened it up else where, and it has decided to boot loop once or twice then it ran through the display test and then started up normally.​

2) I have had it happen then just left it, and it will loop for anywhere from 30 min to a couple of hours if plugged in.​

3) Its happened I've left it for 30 min then decided to bang it around a bit in case it's just a loose connect, and it's restarted a couple of minutes later. I did it in case the movement in the bag is what fixed it.​

Things I've done to try to fix it:
  • reseated the ram,
  • replaced the battery (not necessarily to fix it, just the other one was at 60% health).
  • repasted the cooler.
  • reseated the ram again.
  • checked to make sure nothing looked specifically bad on the motherboard.
  • done bios updates and such with the dell tool when it decides to work.

I have recently purchased a hot air rework station, which I haven't really gotten around to using, but I am tempted to try to reflow the GPU chip. Seems like a bad idea for someone with little experience, but if I can't fix this, and I'm just going to replace it anyway may be worth a shot, heard of it working before from coworkers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I'm happy to try any fixes.

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried reinstalling the OS on a spare drive while all other (prior)OS drives are disconnected to rule out boot partitions being created on other drives as an anomaly?

I have recently purchased a hot air rework station, which I haven't really gotten around to using, but I am tempted to try to reflow the GPU chip.
If you're able to get into Windows OS, use GPU-Z and see if any fields are showing up with a 0(zero). Following that, open Device Manager and see if your GPU is flagged with a yellow exclamation mark, with an error code 43.