Question Boot loop after cpu overclock

jfredolay

Reputable
Oct 2, 2018
Hello! So I decided to try and and over clock my cpu the other night. I never overclocked any cpu before so I followed guides and videos on how to do it. After changing the necessary settings in the bios, I reset the computer. When the computer tried to turn on it would run for a few seconds and then turn off. Then it would turn on again and repeat the process over and over again. The computer screen won't turn on so I can't get to the bios and change the settings back to default. Can I fix this or did I break the computer?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You did no damage. Bios has a default setting where it will attempt Post (power on self test) 3 times and if it fails due to bad or corrupted bios settings, it'll automatically revert to the last stable bios settings.

Almost every person to ever OC has run into this, it's perfectly normal happenstance as you try and dial in an OC.

If I might make a suggestion, first read through your bios and Google any setting you are absolutely unsure about. Learn as much as possible. OC is trial and error, this time was an error. No biggie. But in future, only make a few changes, 2 or 3, it's easier for the bios to dial in other settings and changes to settings that are not listed and you can't see, but exist anyways.