[SOLVED] Boot loop after using more than 1 stick of ram.

Oct 4, 2020
Hey all! I recently got a computer from a good friend (super trustworthy). I noticed that the computer would crash randomly when under load, so I checked the ram and low-and-behold, taking one stick of ram fixed my problem. Now it’s the future and they recently helped me buy a 32gb kit of corsair vengeance pro. I install it and a boot loop occurs. Yet when I leave a SINGLE stick of ram in dimm slot 5, it posts with no issues. This is an MSI X79A-GD45 Plus motherboard. If anyone could give me any advice that would be perfect.

Solution
Here's a start - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p6

One stick may work with another exact same part number or may not. If it does then you have the start of a kit.
The kit may or may not work on a particular motherboard with a particular cpu.
If not then it won't be listed as OK to use for that motherboard/CPU combination.
For example, on my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master the kit might work for my motherboard if I have a 3000 series Ryzen CPU, but not a 1000 series.
As the ram gets faster, it's harder to get it working in kits and with as many motherboards and CPUs.
Oct 4, 2020
So not a 32gb kit listed? I gather they either haven't tested a 32gb kit or that when tested it failed.
that may be the case. The box says it does support I7 which was a huge thing back when this MOBO was released. Im assuming it would work no matter what.
Anyway, for some reference, my friend also gave me the computer with two sticks of ram. Each stick being 8gb, and it would BSOD every time the ram was under load, so I assumed the ram was faulty. It may be something with the BIOS as this system is overclocked. If you dont mind sitting down with me and explaining a noobie the ropes when it comes to this?

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Here's a start - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p6

One stick may work with another exact same part number or may not. If it does then you have the start of a kit.
If not then it won't be listed as OK to use for that motherboard/CPU combination.
For example, on my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master the kit might work for my motherboard if I have a 3000 series Ryzen CPU, but not a 1000 series.
As the ram gets faster, it's harder to get it working in kits and with as many motherboards and CPUs.

Solution
Oct 4, 2020

Right, but everything was bought as a kit, (even the old ram which was definitely compatible with the MOBO as it is in the QVL.) Even the current ram I have is listed, just not the 32gb kit. I doubt I would have 3 faulty dimm slots

First think to do, when tracking memory problems is to get rid of the overclocking. Go in Bios, and load the optimal default.
The other way to obtain the same effect would be to take out the battery (the cell battery) from your motherboard after disconnecting the power cord. Leave it out 10 min, after that put everything in place, including your new Ram sticks and boot.
What is the exact part number (reference number) of your Corsair kit ?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020
First think to do, when tracking memory problems is to get rid of the overclocking. Go in Bios, and load the optimal default.
The other way to obtain the same effect would be to take out the battery (the cell battery) from your motherboard after disconnecting the power cord. Leave it out 10 min, after that put everything in place, including your new Ram sticks and boot.
What is the exact part number (reference number) of your Corsair kit ?
CMY32GX3M4A1600C9R. I’ll try this method tomorrow.

Well, I didn’t boot off of dimm slot 1. The only dimm slot that I managed to successfully boot off of was slot 5, so the last slot on the right.
I understand that. But clearly this is a problem per the manual.
Did you reset the bios as I suggested ? This is really the first think to do, especially as your are overclocking the CPU.
Your RAM reference is really basic vanilla DDR3. That should work.
And did you try each stick in DIMM-5, just to be sure that there is no problem with one of them ?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020
I understand that. But clearly this is a problem per the manual.
Did you reset the bios as I suggested ? This is really the first think to do, especially as your are overclocking the CPU.
Your RAM reference is really basic vanilla DDR3. That should work.
And did you try each stick in DIMM-5, just to be sure that there is no problem with one of them ?
Hey sorry for the late reply. I am currently booted off of dimm1 and dimm5, two sticks, but only dimm5 is being detected. I tested every stick