[SOLVED] Boot LOOP - What on earth???

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Hello,

So about half a year ago, I didn't touch my PC during roughly a month, and when I booted it up, all normal, but suddenly it froze and when I tried booting it up again, I got a boot loop.
Well, didn't think much of it, I started university, so I decided it was for best, to leave my PC be for at least the first semester.

Cutback to tomorrow, I start tinkering with it again; I previously experienced boot loops and I just reset my RAM, it always worked and never failed me. This time it didn't work so I delved deeper, reset my cmos etc.

Then I come to the conclusion, that it must somehow be my ram, since my mobo's EZ debug lights were flashing:

I'm running on corsair LPX DDR4 2x8 GB 2400mhz. I first thought my DRAM slots died, so I started testing 'em individually with each of my Ram sticks.

So, Ramstick 1 on DIMMA1, boots to BIOS, all good, setup my boot order and bam I'm suddenly back to my desktop and I was ecstatic.

Ramstick 1 on DIMMA2, all fine.
Ramstick 1 on DIMMB1, all fine.
Ramstick 1 on DIMMB2, all fine.

At this point, I thought I found the culprit. It was the other 1x8 GB 2400mhz LPX dead stick.

Just to be safe, I did the same test with the other ramstick, bootloop as I expected.

I order another 1x8 GB stick of the same model and make, LPX DDR4 2400mhz and stick it into my system.

Bootloop.

I'm furious at this point and start testing again, I tinker around with a single ramstick and eventually get back to the BIOS. I can't run in dual? for some reason?

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Specs are as follows:

MSI B250 Krait
i7 - 7700 (non k)
RX 580 8GB
WD 250 NVME SSD
WD 1TB Green

Many thanks for any help... I'm truly and utterly at a loss here...

Solution
Now, when you say same model and make, how exact did you go? Just the speed and manufacturer and series aren't always enough.

The long part number like Corsair LPX is what you want to match (Just an example, I know you have 2400Mhz)
CMK16GX4M2D3600C18

You can also try re-seating the CPU since the memory controller is in there, might just have a bad connection from many heating cycles. Also a good opportunity to replace your thermal compound which is several years old at this point.

Another option would be to slightly increase the memory voltage to see if that helps.

I have had a motherboard start to fail when it came to memory. Triple channel system that suddenly dropped back to a maximum of dual channel, and only in certain slots...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Now, when you say same model and make, how exact did you go? Just the speed and manufacturer and series aren't always enough.

The long part number like Corsair LPX is what you want to match (Just an example, I know you have 2400Mhz)
CMK16GX4M2D3600C18

You can also try re-seating the CPU since the memory controller is in there, might just have a bad connection from many heating cycles. Also a good opportunity to replace your thermal compound which is several years old at this point.

Another option would be to slightly increase the memory voltage to see if that helps.

I have had a motherboard start to fail when it came to memory. Triple channel system that suddenly dropped back to a maximum of dual channel, and only in certain slots (not the proper ones either) It can certainly happen.

Solution

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014

CMK16GX4M2D3600C18

I have had a motherboard start to fail when it came to memory. Triple channel system that suddenly dropped back to a maximum of dual channel, and only in certain slots (not the proper ones either) It can certainly happen.

Original: CMK16GX4M2A2400C16

Bought yesterday: CMK16GX4M1A2400C16

differs by the 1... Though I assumed this was the 2X8 = hence 2 I assume on the original ones I bought and then 1x8 = 8 so just 1...?

Reset the CPU today by taking it out, cleaning it and re-applying my thermal paste.

I'll have to test again, I'll try running it with only the new memory in each channel, then only the old memory in each channel then dual in both dimms to see what the hell is going on...

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Only difference I see is that the 2 equals two sticks, and the 1 equals a single stick. Best to buy in matched sets for best results, but it sounds like there is an underlying problem to be solved first.

That is what I'm thinking about.

Right now It's somewhat late here, I'll test each and every single ramstick individually again tomorrow to check out what on earth is going on.