Boot option from SSD

Ress13

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
Hi, I recently got myself a a new SSD and did a clean install of win 10 from a bootable usb. Everything went fine and now when I check my boot meniu it is set to Windows boot manage WBM , if I change it to be the SSD where my OS is it won't boot. If it's set to WBM then it boots fine. When I installed OS I had my SSD and HDD plugged and some dvd/rw, and a card reader. I replugged my cords a bit and SSD is in sata 1 and HDD in sata 2 using MSI B85M-E33 (MS-7817) motherboard.

Anyhow is there a way to change this without reinstalling windows, so that the boot is in ssd or is it okay to keep it set on WBM.

Solution
The quote explains it. The way Win 10 boots now relies on the windows boot manager as it is where it finds the location of the file it needs to boot windows

ON every version of Windows prior to win 8, they used the MBR format for drives and all the bios needed to do is look in the 1st partition of the 1st drive in boot order

Win 8 & 10 use GPT, it has a EFI partition on the drive instead of an MBR and often its not the first partition on the drive. So the Windows Boot Manager stores the details of the drive that has the EFI partition and where it is on the drive.

I guess if you have the ssd first, the PC doesn't have the details it needs to find the efi partition and hence doesn't boot...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows Boot Manager is the right choice, what is the actual problem? is it booting to the hdd instead?

Windows Boot Manager matches the UEFI boot method that matches the Format the ssd is set up in.

Unlike BIOS, UEFI does not rely on a boot sector, defining instead a boot manager as part of the UEFI specification. When a computer is powered on, the boot manager checks the boot configuration and, based on its settings, loads and executes the specified operating system loader or operating system kernel. The boot configuration is a set of global-scope variables stored in NVRAM, including the boot variables that indicate the paths to operating system loaders or kernels, which as a component class of UEFI applications are stored as files on the firmware-accessible EFI System partition (ESP).

https://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/32127-uefi-windows-boot-manager.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
The quote explains it. The way Win 10 boots now relies on the windows boot manager as it is where it finds the location of the file it needs to boot windows

ON every version of Windows prior to win 8, they used the MBR format for drives and all the bios needed to do is look in the 1st partition of the 1st drive in boot order

Win 8 & 10 use GPT, it has a EFI partition on the drive instead of an MBR and often its not the first partition on the drive. So the Windows Boot Manager stores the details of the drive that has the EFI partition and where it is on the drive.

I guess if you have the ssd first, the PC doesn't have the details it needs to find the efi partition and hence doesn't boot.

http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

Solution