[SOLVED] Boot partition is on different drive to C: partition ?

Solution
I understand that i have to use BCDBoot to create a new boot partition on the drive with the C: partition on but i have no idea how to do it.
Execute following from elevated command prompt, to create bootloader on OS drive. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If you get any errors, then stop immediately.

diskpart
list disk
select disk x
(select disk containing partition C: . x is probably 0, but macrium is showing it as disk 1. You can verify correct disk numbers with Disk Management.)
list partition
(If you have selected correct disk, then only 2 partitions should be listed)
select...

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
Is this a brand new install?
If so, just redo it, with only the single drive connected.

Otherwise, @SkyNetRising can probably assist in getting the boot partition on the desired drive.

This happened because you have more than one drive connected when you did the OS install.
its not a fresh install so i cant just redo it.
i heard somewhere else as well that having multiple drives installed was the issue but why is that? when doing the OS setup its asking which drive to put the OS on. why would just choose a different drive for the boot partition?

USAFRet

Titan
i heard somewhere else as well that having multiple drives installed was the issue but why is that? when doing the OS setup its asking which drive to put the OS on. why would just choose a different drive for the boot partition?
The Windows install, in its infinite wisdom, just does that.

I believe it is a semi protection mechanism.
But it is really really dumb.

They way to prevent that is to follow the best practice of having only ONE drive physically connected when you do the install.
That way, there is no possibility of the install doing something else.

I understand that i have to use BCDBoot to create a new boot partition on the drive with the C: partition on but i have no idea how to do it.
Execute following from elevated command prompt, to create bootloader on OS drive. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.

diskpart
list disk
select disk x
(select disk containing partition C: . x is probably 0, but macrium is showing it as disk 1. You can verify correct disk numbers with Disk Management.)
list partition
select partition 2
(select 931GB partition)
shrink desired=500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=M
(assign a free/unused drive letter)
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s M: /f UEFI

Last message should be "Boot files created successfully".

After that,
shutdown,​
disconnect 870 evo,​
adjust boot priority, to boot from Windows Boot Manager on 980 Pro,​
should be able to boot into windows.​

Later you can reconnect 870 evo and delete 100MB EFI system partition from it (old bootloader). It is not necessary anymore.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm

Solution
The Windows install, in its infinite wisdom, just does that.

I believe it is a semi protection mechanism.
But it is really really dumb.

They way to prevent that is to follow the best practice of having only ONE drive physically connected when you do the install.
That way, there is no possibility of the install doing something else.
The bios has its own list of drives and will only boot from the one that is first on that list, if windows would install the bootloader on any other drive except the one that bios sees as the first, then windows would not be able to start until you would change the settings in the bios.

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020

diskpart
list disk
select disk x
list partition
select partition 2
(select 931GB partition)
shrink desired=500
create partition efi
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=M
(assign a free/unused drive letter)
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s M: /f UEFI

Last message should be "Boot files created successfully".

After that,
shutdown,​
disconnect 870 evo,​
adjust boot priority, to boot from Windows Boot Manager on 980 Pro,​
should be able to boot into windows.​

Later you can reconnect 870 evo and delete 100MB EFI system partition from it (old bootloader). It is not necessary anymore.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm
it worked perfectly. thanks!
but while i now have the boot partition, what about the recovery partition? do i strictly need that or can i just ignore it?