Question Boot PCI EX sata III SSD

Mar 26, 2022
Hello my friends, good night. I have a gigabyte sata II and I bought an adapter card to better enjoy the performance of the SSD, but I am not able to get the system to boot from it. Of all the possible attempts I made, the one that apparently gave the best result was with the Windows boot manager, where I noticed the attempt to read data on the SSD using a common HD with the system installed as a bridge only. In this case, initialization fails after 3 read attempts. I even saw the issue of manipulating the BIOS code to boot through PCI-EX but I didn't go deep because of the difficulty of finding files and so on. How could I proceed in this case? any decent software? I can use Clover as a bridge on a HD to a PCI-EX x4-adapted M2, normally without difficulty. I tried the same procedure, for the sata adapter card, but without success. Clover can't find the SSD. It's something simple, I've been banging my head since the sign arrived at 3 pm, trying different ways and I didn't get anything!!! I look forward to any possible comments on the solution of this problem to mutual friends here in this forum who may have gone through the same situation. From Brazil translated by google translator.

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
PCI SATA EX X1 Marvell 91XX

Bootloader is located on 1TB drive. You boot from this one.
Windows is installed on 120GB drive.

First you have to install storage driver for PCIE sata controller.
(BTW - can you provide link to product page of your particular PCIE sata controller?)

You can check, if it's working properly by connecting one of your 500GB drives to PCIE sata controller and booting into windows (shutdown pc first).
Both 500GB drives should be visible in Disk Management.
If it is not installed properly, there will be item with yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager.

Then -
Shutdown your pc.​
Connect SSD to PCIE sata controller.​
Boot into BIOS.​
Make sure boot order in BIOS remains the same - first drive in boot order has to be 1TB drive.​
And that's it. Should be able to boot into windows

Mar 26, 2022
Thank you in advance for your attention my friend.
For starters, I want to say that I installed windows on a 500GB HD (42GB partition) and it serves as a bridge, the windows boot manager. I added the boot entries with the C disk connected to the sata pci ex port, and when I did, I noticed the led blink 3 times as an attempt to read the data and after restarting the system without an error message or something. The Driver was missing, but since before Windows itself showed me the HD connected to the sata pci ex port. Now if you want, the LEDs blink, I had to reinstall and I don't remember the process well, easyBCD to add the entry, but now with the drivers, I can't even see the LEDs blinking anymore...

Mar 26, 2022
now I don't remember and I can't make at least the windows boot menu access the SSD through PCI ex sata. When I observed the attempt, in the case with a common HD on the native sata port, 3 flashes of leds but rebooted the system. Now I'm not even getting that, so I can install the drivers and see if it resolves. How to proceed? this is not difficult at all, I just need the boot from the pci ex. Bios CSM, not UEFI

Mar 26, 2022
Hell, now I don't remember and I can't make at least the windows boot menu access the SSD through PCI ex sata. When I observed the attempt, in the case with a common HD on the native sata port, 3 flashes of leds but rebooted the system. Now I'm not even getting that, so I can install the drivers and see if it resolves. How to proceed? this is not difficult at all, I just need the boot from the pci ex. Bios CSM, not UEFI

I need a way, just a boot manager that gives me boot from PCI EX sata 3. As I mentioned, Installing a partially windows, regardless of the capacity of the HD or partition, just to boot, as I did, and I got flashes on the board, but no access to boot. Anyone have information about it? It's not difficult at all, even with NVME on PCI x16 with Clover it's easy to boot on ANY CARD OF ANY MODEL, as long as it has PCI x16. Now, how to proceed? Information on the web is scarce, friends who work with servers and etc could respond.

You have to install drivers for your PCIE sata adapter.
Without drivers, you can't access any drives connected to this adapter.

Why are you mentioning NVME here? Your motherboard doesn't support nvme.
Do you have PCIE M.2 adapter installed? What model? Please provide link to product page of your PCIE M.2 adapter.

What is this "Clover", you're mentioning? Please provide link to the product.
Please list model names of all your storage devices. This was asked back in post #2. You still haven't given the necessary info.

Last edited: