Boot problem with new home-built system

bmdeen

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I'm having trouble getting a new home-built desktop to boot -- various components appear to be powered, but the system doesn't enter BIOS or post (no display output at all).

Components:
Asus X99-Deluxe MB
Intel Core i7-6850K processor
Corsair 4x8GB DD4-2133 RAM (CMK32GX4M4A2133C13)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card
SanDisk 960GB SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 PSU
Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 CPU cooler
CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 5
2x StarTech 2 Port PCI Express RS232 serial port card
StarTech 2 Port PCI Express parallel port card

When I power on, the power/reset LED buttons on the MB are lit up, as are lights on the graphics card and CPU cooler. The fans come on and stay on. However, nothing is displayed on the connected monitor, and the motherboard's "DRAM LED" is on, indicating a RAM problem. (I don't currently have a system speaker, but I suspect this would provide the same info as the DRAM LED.)

I've gone through the steps at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems -- In particular, all power connectors, cards, and RAM dimms are inserted fully; RAM dimms are in the correct slots; and I've tried resetting the CMOS. While I'm hoping to use four DIMMs for the build, I've also tried with just two, and with just one, testing each individual DIMM separately, and get the same issue every time. I also tried using a different type of RAM altogether (Crucial 2x16GB DDR4-2133, albeit not listed on the motherboard's "suggested RAM" list), and had the same issue. I've contacted ASUS customer support, and they recommended sending them the motherboard to test, but that seems like a excessive response for a brand new motherboard (all of the components are brand new).

Any thoughts as to what might be going on, or what to try next? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Unbolt the motherboard from the case and set it on your motherboard box. Leave everything connected and test. This will let you know if your motherboard is grounding on the case. If so you may need plastic standoffs instead of the standard ones.
Unbolt the motherboard from the case and set it on your motherboard box. Leave everything connected and test. This will let you know if your motherboard is grounding on the case. If so you may need plastic standoffs instead of the standard ones.

Solution