Motherboard - Gigabyte z170n-wifi
CPU - Intel i7-6700k
GPU - MSI Afterburner 1050ti
RAM - G.Skill Trident Z Neo
CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken x52
Case - NZXT H210I
M.2 - WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe Gen 3 M.2 2280, 3D NAND
PSU - TT 650WATT

I had cleaned out my PC only thing I done was cable management do to my cpu water cooler making noise I fixed that problem now it came up with second problem where my mobo boots but usb wont work and m.2 has windows installed but doesnt boot.

It keeps goin to the screen where it keeps telling me my m.2 doesnt have boot windows installed.

I have did some upgrade and downgrade parts.
I did upgrade on a RAM, M.2 bigger storage and I did downgrape gpu to 1050ti.

I dont see any problems with other parts Im thinkin might be the cables.

Oh and i did the boot on bios with m.2s it doesnt boot keeps sayin i need to have windows installed to boot.

I could do some more test on my other PC too with m.2s but Im sure I have no prob with m.2.

I can add more I did some booting with other PC it boots but not this PC did the cables again now I took out everything in that case.

Im not sure bread boarding is good idea or not but I might have to try this and see if it works.
And Going to try some more Test With M.2 Slot if doesnt work guess I Have to get New board and CPU.

Last edited:

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
  1. Please give us a full list of all the parts in this.
  2. It is very likely something is not connected quite right.

my Mobo is Gigabyte z170n-wifi
CPU - Intel i7-6700k
NZXT Kraken x52
NZXT H210I

I gonna Add some more things here I did run the M.2 on my other PC it reads no problem.

I boot to Bios I can see My m.2 as boot drive but I cant boot when I set it to boot Im still guess it might be the cables.

Thank you !

Last edited:

Ferimer

Distinguished
my Mobo is Gigabyte z170n-wifi
CPU - Intel i7-6700k
NZXT Kraken x52
NZXT H210I

I gonna Add some more things here I did run the M.2 on my other PC it reads no problem.

I boot to Bios I can see My m.2 as boot drive but I cant boot when I set it to boot Im still guess it might be the cables.

Thank you !
Wait you changed the m.2's right? you have to complete and FULL fresh install on the new M.2 of windows 10. so you're going to need a USB flash drive with windows on it and boot from that to install on the new M.2

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Wait you changed the m.2's right? you have to complete and FULL fresh install on the new M.2 of windows 10. so you're going to need a USB flash drive with windows on it and boot from that to install on the new M.2

Yes i did upgrade it to 1tb It did boot like 1hr ago before I did cables

you mean I should boot with usb to get in to windows ? well the problem here is USB Port wont work.

but only works when I take off M.2 and mount differ one and mount it back and boot to bios.

Its weird.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Yes i did upgrade it to 1tb It did boot like 1hr ago before I did cables

you mean I should boot with usb to get in to windows ? well the problem here is USB Port wont work.

but only works when I take off M.2 and mount differ one and mount it back and boot to bios.

Its weird.
Are you trying to connect to the front USB or the motherboard? when booting from a USB with windows boot file, plug it directly to the back.

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Unsure what you did here.
Please clarify, step by step.

My Kraken was making noise so I figured it was the usb pin were in wrong place So I did that didnt touch anything else but the cables in so small case I unpluged fans USB pins My HDD was mounted too I forgot that I unpluged HDD and only thing I did was put the cables in different order.

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
So there's an HDD in addition to the WD Blue M.2 drive?

Yes and extra SSD samsung Evo actually keep not seeing things that are mounted

So HDD seagate 2tb SSD samsung Evo 500gb.
I See all this drive in bios only when I boot first time with it was mounted untill second time I boot it freeze My keyboard and mouse doesnt work.

and USB is on mobo usb mount.

Ferimer

Distinguished

I See all this drive in bios only when I boot first time with it was mounted untill second time I boot it freeze My keyboard and mouse doesnt work.

and USB is on mobo usb mount.
SO with an M.2 it usually disables a SATA Port on your motherboard. sometimes 2 of them check your manual to see which ones if any got disabled.

USAFRet

Titan

This is why a FULL list of all parts was requested.

There is very likely one or more of the SATA ports on the motherboard is disabled when using a drive in the M.2 port.
Since you moved cables around, likely that the HDD is now in one of those disabled ports.

Section 1-7 in your motherboard user manual shows the allowable configurations.

Reactions: Ferimer

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
SO with an M.2 it usually disables a SATA Port on your motherboard. sometimes 2 of them check your manual to see which ones if any got disabled.
This is why a FULL list of all parts was requested.

There is very likely one or more of the SATA ports on the motherboard is disabled when using a drive in the M.2 port.
Since you moved cables around, likely that the HDD is now in one of those disabled ports.

Section 1-7 in your motherboard user manual shows the allowable configurations.

My windows are install to M.2 only and only it doesnt matter I have SSD or HDD its my extra storage but I should check its disabled I only could get in the boot bios as of I tried hitting ESC or DELETE Key wont work on boot screen.

Plus I took out all of them due too this problem.

USAFRet

Titan
My windows are install to M.2 only and only it doesnt matter I have SSD or HDD its my extra storage but I should check its disabled I only could get in the boot bios as of I tried hitting ESC or DELETE Key wont work on boot screen.

And if either of those other drives were connected when you did the Windows install on the WD Blue M.2 drive, the boot partition likely ended up on one of those.
No access to those may mean no boot for you.

Your mouse/keyboard issues are a whole different thing.
Also likely cable related.

Ferimer

Distinguished

I woud try a completely fresh install on the M.2 remove the other 2 drives completely and just have the m.2 plugged in for now. Go from there and see what happens.

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
I woud try a completely fresh install on the M.2 remove the other 2 drives completely and just have the m.2 plugged in for now. Go from there and see what happens.

Hmm I would show yall the image I took but it wont let me upload but this comes back to usb problem boot device screen comes on if normal pc it would go back to boot screen as I press Del + Ctrl + Alt but it doesnt and usb doesnt work if do boot second time as i try to get in to bios I cant even boot USB.

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
And if either of those other drives were connected when you did the Windows install on the WD Blue M.2 drive, the boot partition likely ended up on one of those.

Hmm Yes indeed Im goin to try doin cables again.

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019

Nope I did the cables No luck its weird I think M.2 slot might be dead but I can see it on BIOS.
First time I boot USB work Than I boot With Bios It gets frozen weird.

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019

I did removed hdd ssd before I do anything else Would if i could boot with usb and i dont have to back up cause I would still have files in WINDOWS.old and it would be easy problem now this comes back too usb not working after second boot funny thing is I can boot it from my AMD but On i7 it wont boot no matter what I do and I save exit bios reboot it wont let me boot to usb.

Plus my keyboard and mouse doesnt work as well on bios exit reboot I might try clean m.2 on AMD and boot from i7 if this doesnt work I think I need new board and cpu cause its hard to get z170 board I know it doesnt have to be Z board its still hard to come around.

Thinking of gettin tiger lake.

BTW Thank you !

Last edited: