boot problems

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001

After a power outage last night, I am unable to boot.
SETUP is either unable to read harddrive to obtain
settings or loses the user input information for those
settings. So I might have a CMOS battery problem, is my
thinking??? I got a shock from the wiring for the power
plug on the back of the harddrive, so there is also a
possible wiring problem. Has anybody experienced this
problem or similar and does anybody have any suggestions.
THANKS in advance......

Kent,

Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you're getting shocks from the inside
of your PC, I recommend you get it checked out by a qualified professional.
It's not worth playing around with... I've never had a shock from inside a
PC, and I think this *might* point to power supply problems.

Our office has just lost a number of electrical appliances due to a large
surge following a power cut last week.
It could be your BIOS chip got fried - same thing happened to me once - had
to replace Mothrboard and processor to fix it.

Depending on your motherboard/bios manufacturer, you might hear 'beep'
signals ... the number and duration of the beeps can help diagnose the fault
more precisely.
Each manufacturer differs though, so try their websites?

Hope this helps a little...

Jeff.

"Kent" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a power outage last night, I am unable to boot.
> SETUP is either unable to read harddrive to obtain
> settings or loses the user input information for those
> settings. So I might have a CMOS battery problem, is my
> thinking??? I got a shock from the wiring for the power
> plug on the back of the harddrive, so there is also a
> possible wiring problem. Has anybody experienced this
> problem or similar and does anybody have any suggestions.
> THANKS in advance......

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001

HI,
It turned out to be a bad battery in my CMOS. The shock
was from touching the end of 2 wires at the junction. All
is well now. Thx

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001

Hi,
I am certified A+ and MCP

Well I didn't know that ... glad you got it fixed ;-)