Question Boot problems

Jul 28, 2019
So I am having some trouble with my computer on boot. Recently it has been taking a long time for the monitors and keyboard to activate. They will both turn on after the startup screen when you access the bios. This has become frustrating because now I can no long access the bios at all. Anyone have any Ideas about what could be going on?

Couple quick things that have happened recently that may be affecting things. First is one of my sticks of ram stopped working for a little bit. I removed all my ram and reinstalled them and they all seem to be working great now. Secondly I have just installed a 1TB m.2 NVME drive. The system boots and works just fine so i'm not sure that is the problem. Thirdly and the most unlikely is I just installed 2 new fans and a fan hub for better airflow.

System:
Gigabyte x99-UD3P
1TB m.2
4TB HDD
2TB HDD
240GB SSD
EVGA 980TI
850W supernova 80plus gold
4 dimms 8GB ddr4 ram

Any ideas would be great.

Jul 28, 2019
my ram is all the same except I bought two separate 2x8GB sets (total 4x8gb). When I would go to look at how much ram I had it would bounce between 32gb to 24gb to 12gb. After I reseated them its constantly 32gb, at least for the past few days since i did it.

The is the only thing that I have noticed. The computer will turn on and my monitors and keyboard (backlit) will stay dark and I will get a half second flash of the motherboard screen then straight to windows. In the past my screens and keyboard would turn on before the motherboard screen. note also that the amount of time it takes to turn on is the same just more black screen.

Oh and also if I press a key on my keyboard while booting the light will come on while I have a keypressed then when the system fully boots the keyboard stays lit.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
my ram is all the same except I bought two separate 2x8GB sets (total 4x8gb)
So they're NOT from the same pack?

Could potentially be the issue, RAM modules are only guaranteed compatibility in the form sold, regardless as to whether they are the same make / model.

Have you tried without mixed modules? Has the issue only occurred mainly since installing the new RAM?

Oh and also if I press a key on my keyboard while booting the light will come on while I have a keypressed then when the system fully boots the keyboard stays lit.
I suspect this is because it still has power from the USB, but none of the actual drivers have loaded, and there is no data transferring. Have you tried a different keyboard to see if it allows you to boot to BIOS?

Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Are you running any overclocks anywhere?

Jul 28, 2019
With regards to the ram I have had this setup in this config for ~3years so I doubt its the ram.

I am running no overclocks.

I just did a fresh install on the new m.2 drive but I updated all the drivers and it worked at first then started doing it later. as for bios I believe its the newest one its from 2018 but they dont really update the bios for my motherboard that much.

I dont think this is a hardware issue since other then the m.2 drive I have been running this config for awhile with no troubles.