bauernakke

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My harddisk can't be set up for dual operating systems. I have win98 installed. If I try to install Linux or winnt in my bare partition, I recieve a message saying that there isn't enough room in the boot section. Anybody had this problem before?

G

How is you HD partitioned. The BOOT partition should be no less that 40-50mb

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay....you are trying to run linux right? Don't listen to the guy above me. i've done this before. Lets say you have a 20gb hard drive. Lets say u want it 1/2 and 1/2 for both opperatind systems. Make a primary dos partiton at 10gb leaving the other 10gb unpartitioned. Install windows 98. Next install Linux and make your linux native and swap partitions with ur free 10gb. MAKE SURE TO INSTALL lilo!! Remember this. If you ever have to re-install windows, you have to reinstall linux because of lilo. the boot record will be re-written and lilo will be replaced with the windows boot record.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

G

I agree with you coments about Linux. It also depaends on which Linux you are installing. Some are better, more intuative, than other. But what you missed was that he said Linux and NT. So my statement still stands.

bauernakke

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I already tried this and I have it working on another disk.

I had the same problem, as I had with the dual system setup, when I tried to install Linux on this disk completely bare and reformatted.

FYI: If you are runnning red hat you dont have to reinstall linux you just choose the upgrade option in the setup menu and it restores the boot record