Question Boot speed is like a sloth, the dotted circle turns for 3 or 4 minutes ?

Apr 30, 2024
I got a PC from my friend and it has the following specs:

SSD: Crucial CT500P2SSD8 M.2 NVMe
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1650

The problem is, it is really slow when boot up, the dotted circle turning again and again like 3 or 4 minutes long. After booting, when the desktop appears, it becomes fast. There is no slowdown in normal use. Only when booting.

Power plan-Fast startup is already active. I tried to uncheck the Task Manager startup softwares. I disabled them. I also opened Mscongfig-Services and disabled the non-Microsoft ones. It is no use. I just want it to boot at normal speed, like under 1min. I think I should try to install Windows 11 from scratch. What do you think?

Is the nvme drive the only drive in the system? This looks a lot like some drive having an issue and the boot testing it until it gives up, or it passes after a long time.
You should test the nvme drive from windows before doing anything, if it has issues then trying to do a clean install will probably kill it or mess it up so much that it won't boot up at all anymore.
Careful though, testing the drive could also make it die.

You can use crucials own tool or any other you might prefer.
https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive

Apr 30, 2024
Is the nvme drive the only drive in the system? This looks a lot like some drive having an issue and the boot testing it until it gives up, or it passes after a long time.
You should test the nvme drive from windows before doing anything, if it has issues then trying to do a clean install will probably kill it or mess it up so much that it won't boot up at all anymore.
Careful though, testing the drive could also make it die.

You can use crucials own tool or any other you might prefer.
https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive
Also a secondary 1TB hdd available in the system and its empty.
Do you think that the ssd is defected? I will try the tool you mentioned when I get to home.

Also a secondary 1TB hdd available in the system and its empty.
Do you think that the ssd is defected? I will try the tool you mentioned when I get to home.
You can try and disconnect the 1Tb drive, disconnect the power cable and leave the data cable in so that there are no issues with drive letters changing.
1Tb means that it should be pretty old so it could very well be the one that is worn down.

Reactions: MemoryCard
I got a pc from my friend and it has win10. The specs are ct500p2ssd8, ryzen 5 1600, 16GB ddr4, gtx 1650. The problem is, it is really slow when boot up, the dots turning again and again like 3 or 4 minutes long. After booting, when the desktop appears, it becomes fast. There is no slowdown in normal use. Only when booting.

Power plan-Fast startup is already active. I tried to uncheck the Task Manager startup softwares. I disabled them. Also entered to Mscongfig-Services and disabled the nonMicrosoft ones. It is no use. I just want it to boot at normal speed, like under 1min. I think I should try to install win 11 from scratch. What do you think?
Task manager/startup/bios time?

Apr 30, 2024
You can try and disconnect the 1Tb drive, disconnect the power cable and leave the data cable in so that there are no issues with drive letters changing.
1Tb means that it should be pretty old so it could very well be the one that is worn down.
Wow. I disconnected the hdd and hit the power button and it says something. Reboot and select proper boot device. OS didn't load. What should I do now?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Wow. I disconnected the hdd and hit the power button and it says something. Reboot and select proper boot device. OS didn't load. What should I do now?
That tells me the HDD was connected when the OS was installed and part of it went on it.

If you connect the HDD back it should boot.

The OS should be installed with the only drive connected being the drive your installing it to.

Apr 30, 2024
That tells me the HDD was connected when the OS was installed and part of it went on it.

If you connect the HDD back it should boot.

The OS should be installed with the only drive connected being the drive your installing it to.
You guys are amazing. Now everything is installed on the SSD. Boot is like 15 second. I'm soo happy.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Always helps to only have one drive in PC when installing windows as it likes to share. If it finds blank space on other drives, its been known to put files there instead. If that hdd had windows on it already at some stage, windows installer was just trying to be smart and reuse an old boot partition.

Its a common mistake, its why I asked :)

Reactions: MemoryCard