Boot up in windows 7 install disc. only background and cursor shows

kieferz7777

Commendable
Aug 2, 2018
I have been trying to get a small old Dell computer to work. It's problem was the processor. Now, with a different processor, I am trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium. It boots through the "loading windows files" and then "starting windows", but when it would show the window with the button "install now (->)" it doesn't appear. It is just the background and the cursor. I have tried with and without video card. I also tried switching out the memory. plus I used two different (win 7 home premium) install discs.

Additional side-notes:
1. during startup it gives the messages:
ALERT! system voltage low
ALERT! rear fan failure (I don't know if the "rear fan" is the CPU heat sink duct fan but it is only slow, not failed)
System does not support installed proccescor
Please consult your computer documentation for more information.
F1 continue F2 setup utility

2. The north bridge heat sink gets burning hot after it loads starting windows

3.Upon boot up, it will show Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10.2.0.8 and additional stuff (with the alerts at the bottom) when I restart it, it it only shows from the alerts down. I have to unplug and re-plug the power cord in order to get all of that to come back

4. I can always get my 64bit disc to work with other computers but I have had this error in the times where I must use the 32bit one.

Refurbished Dell Optiplex 745 and I'm using a 32bit install disc.

Also, I have had the same problem with another computer. I just thought it wasn't compatible with windows maybe? But I know this one is. And even if I can't get this computer to work, I would like one of these two (with the same problem) to work. the other computer is a pretty much all good Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI.

Feel free to ask about more specs that I left out.

Which optiplex 745 do you have. MT (tower) DT (desktop) SFF ( small form factor), USFF (Ultra SFF).
Are there any diagnostic LED codes showing on the front panel?
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-745_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf
Do you have the latest BIOS, and a confirmed supported CPU. Those can only run 65nm 266fsb Core2 Duo/Quads.
QX6800,QX6700,Q6700,Q6600, X6800,E6700 would be good choices.
http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-OptiPlex-745/3949
Up to 8GB 4x2GB DDR2 800 low density RAM.
The NB heatsink getting hot means it's doing it's job.

kieferz7777

Commendable
Aug 2, 2018

I have the SFF (small form factor). I don't exactly know about the processor info but I do know that my other computer (the fatal1ty one) is all compatible with itself. If I was getting a different error I would try to solve it except I am not the best a software troubleshooting. I came here because I had this error twice! With two different systems, nothing was the same except the keyboard and mouse. And both times it was with a 32bit install disc ( two different 32bit install discs too) I don't know much about the technical specs for RAM and CPUs. I have tried it with many different ones though. I think I might be able to find out specs in the setup utility some how?

Here a picture of the dell computer
computer.jpg

EDIT: I added some pictures of the other computer and the install discs
DSC00071.jpg

disc.jpg

A: the one I used with the fatal1ty
B: the one I used with the dell computer

UPDATE: I tried disc "B" in another computer without the hard drive plugged in. Worked great. So its not the disc(s).

The Opti 745 originally came with Pentium 4, and PentiumD CPUs. Unless it has a later BIOS it won't run the 65NM Core2 CPUs. It can't run the newer 45NM Core 2s it's too old. They are all LGA775 so a photo doesn't do any good, they all look the same.
Next to the front USB ports there are 4 LEDS. They can be off, on , green or yellow. They can tell you a lot. See the link to the manual.
The low system Volatge message may mean the PSU is dying. That's a very old computer. Dell PSUs are good but nothing lasts forever.
You might try running a Linux Live DVD fron the DVD drive w/o any HDD connected to see if the computer works at all.

kieferz7777

Commendable
Aug 2, 2018

I did mention that it was refurbished somewhere.
Well I can get past all of the loading screens to where the actual windows installation interface would be. Plus as I said before, I mostly made this because I had this problem twice. And if I were to have it in the future, it would be nice to know how to fix it. Although that may actually explain why the other CPUs I had didn't work?

just in case (I have had many other errors with this computer) here is the specs:

BIOS version: 2.0.8

Processor
type: Intel (R) Core(TM) Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
clock speed: 2.40 GHz
bus speed: 1066 MHz
L2 Cache: 8 MB
ID 06FB
Multiple Core Compatible: Yes (Quad)
Hyperthreading Capable: No
64-bit Technology: Yes (Intel EM64T)

Memory
Installed: 2.0 GB
Speed: 533MHz
Channel Mode: Single
Technology: DDR2 SDRAM

Still the CPU not being compatible would not explain why I had this problem with a fully functioning Fatal1ty with a fully functioning PSU.

I very much thank you for your replys!

I'm afraid the current BIOS update that installs in Windows, is 2.6.4, the very latest that installs from a bootable DOS USB is 2.6.6 from 2014.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/optiplex-745/drivers
The CPU is OK for that machine, but only with a BIOS that supports it. It may be necessary to load some intermediate BIOS updates to get to the newest.
One problem Dells (and other computers) from that era had was leaking capcitors on the MB. Look at all the plastic wrapped caps with metal tops and see if any of them are swollen, or discolored in the "K" grooves. This is how they often die, and can lead to all kinds of mysterious symptoms.

kieferz7777

Commendable
Aug 2, 2018

That was probably it. I took a look and all of the small ones looked fine. and then I saw that the 3 biggest capacitors had this battery-acid looking stuff on top. Also, the old computer has had some cooling problems in the past. The CPU duct fan used to (when it was still in use) be REALLY LOUD and we would always jokingly be like get a new computer. (of course now there is a new computer). So I was careful to check the heat on the cpu and not run the computer for to long.

I was thinking I would check to see if the Fatal1ty computer also had a old bios. Couldn't find where the specs where. I put the install disc in the make sure the problem was still there. And it was. by now I was getting hungry and forgot to turn off the computer. I went up, made some food came back down, and I actually saw the screen pop up! I guess it just took a long time to load. but I herd the disc stop spinning at the beginning and thought that it was done. so that problem was letting it load. Thank you William. Now I know a lot more about that old computer and that it will not work correctly unless I get a new motherboard. And a lot of other stuff too. but as for the solution to this problem, it just takes a while to load. (a long while)

kieferz7777

Commendable
Aug 2, 2018
Yeah. When I figured it out I had been like "I feel so stupid." but when I looked it up, there was nothing that helped. (And as I said before the disk drive slowed a lot so I thought it was done). Thank you for your help though.