Question Boot up without second m.2 nvme drive

jirkaparmen

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Solution : i will return my second gen 4 m.2 nvme ssd and i will buy 3 gen bc without second disk the pc works fine

Hi i need help after shutdown, my pc will boot without second m.2nvme drive. When do i restart it, it comes back on but after next shutdown it just disapper again. When turning on it takes hella long and in the waiting time i see grey screen with loading the pc will boot up but it takes hella long at some 1,2,3 tries it worked fine but now it dont the pc is 2 day old
in the bios it only shows up 1 ssd for booting up without depending of restarts.
Edit : the ssd is not shown up boot options in any way
pc spec:
ryzen r7 5800x
asus rog strix b550 xe gaming wifi
2x m.2 nvme ssd WD black sn 850
please help

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
How were the drives initialized. If MBR they can give you headaches. MBR is a truly ancient legacy system but is default. Should be GPT. Has to do with how the Boot EFI deals with the drives as nvme requires drivers loaded and Sata does not, it's native to the board.

jirkaparmen

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
How were the drives initialized. If MBR they can give you headaches. MBR is a truly ancient legacy system but is default. Should be GPT. Has to do with how the Boot EFI deals with the drives as nvme requires drivers loaded and Sata does not, it's native to the board.
1. was done auto when installing windows from usb and the second one from the disk manager

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
both of them are gpt ( updated chipset now too)

Is anything detecting in Reliability History or have there been any BSOD with this issue? Have you ran diagnostic tools on the drives to ensure one isn't broken?

Western Digital Dashboard may help you run some tests also? Worth downloading manufacturer software, checking for any firmware updates for the drives etc.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279

jirkaparmen

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Is anything detecting in Reliability History or have there been any BSOD with this issue? Have you ran diagnostic tools on the drives to ensure one isn't broken?

Western Digital Dashboard may help you run some tests also? Worth downloading manufacturer software, checking for any firmware updates for the drives etc.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279
Dont worry already tried the wd sotware checked rn ( after restart) and disk is 100% good and no BSOD

jirkaparmen

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Hi i need help after shutdown, my pc will boot without second m.2nvme drive. When do i restart it, it comes back on but after next shutdown it just disapper again. When turning on it takes hella long and in the waiting time i see grey screen with loading the pc will boot up but it takes hella long at some 1,2,3 tries it worked fine but now it dont the pc is 2 day old
in the bios it only shows up 1 ssd for booting up without depending of restarts.
Edit : the ssd is not shown up boot options in any way
pc spec:
ryzen r7 5800x
asus rog strix b550 xe gaming wifi
2x m.2 nvme ssd WD black sn 850
please help
UPDATE : i put second m.2 disk out of pc and the long waiting time disappeard

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Dont worry already tried the wd sotware checked rn ( after restart) and disk is 100% good and no BSOD
Have you definitely checked for the Firmware updates for both drives? There is a post regarding the issue you are having on the Western Digital forum has had over 10,000 views and no reply from the company.

Someone posted this within all the mess and might be worth a shot:

This appeared to be a disk partition issue when initially installing the m.2. I was able to resolve my issue by doing the following

Prerequisite:
Download the WD dashboard

procedure:

1. Open a command prompt as admin and type DISKPART
  2. enter list
  3. Note the disk number from the dashboard [mine was disk 4]
  4. enter select volume
  5. enter clean
  6. Convert MBR
  7. Exit
Volume should show on the dashboard and now in the disk management

1. Right Click the *new volume * in disk management and click Format
  2. Select NTFS
  3. Right click again and select ** Change drive letter and paths**
  4. Select the drive letter you want
  5. You should now see the drive in the windows explorer
Also just found this video, might be worth a watch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjUcauNQl8U

jirkaparmen

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Have you definitely checked for the Firmware updates for both drives? There is a post regarding the issue you are having on the Western Digital forum has had over 10,000 views and no reply from the company.

Someone posted this within all the mess and might be worth a shot:

This appeared to be a disk partition issue when initially installing the m.2. I was able to resolve my issue by doing the following

Prerequisite:
Download the WD dashboard

procedure:

1. Open a command prompt as admin and type DISKPART
  2. enter list
  3. Note the disk number from the dashboard [mine was disk 4]
  4. enter select volume
  5. enter clean
  6. Convert MBR
  7. Exit
Volume should show on the dashboard and now in the disk management

1. Right Click the *new volume * in disk management and click Format
  2. Select NTFS
  3. Right click again and select ** Change drive letter and paths**
  4. Select the drive letter you want
  5. You should now see the drive in the windows explorer
Also just found this video, might be worth a watch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjUcauNQl8U
Thx i will order the gen 3 drive and if not works i will try your but thx for trying and happy new year bro